Advertisements

Storage Express

Pure Portugal

dog kennels condeixa

It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:10 am 

Evening all, the renovation is well under way & on schedule (for now) and we've booked the ferry to Santander! We'll be driving our van down loaded with a mix of personal power & hand tool for use on site, and some (mostly) 2nd hand furniture & homewares for the house inc. a shiny new log burner. Will we need any kind of import licence for any of this kind of stuff?
A friend of ours recently mentioned that you're supposed to have a licence to almost anything in a van in Portugal. I asked our builder about it but he couldn't give us any definitive info. Could anyone clarify this for us please & if a licence is required, what do we need, where do we go to get it, etc etc. Also what's the likelihood that we'll be a 'target' for the local rozzers riding around in a UK reg panel van? Should I be more worried about the Spanish fuzz? Mrs thinks I'm being a bit paranoid & we should just load up, set off & enjoy the whole experience...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:35 pm 

Hi Pete and Chris

I have been a member of this Forum for many years and i have never heard of any licence needed to bring stuff in to Portugal. I have driven back many times and never been stopped and asked for my licence.

Be careful about what you bring don't bring stuff you haven't used in years you will find you get rid at a local market. But like me you may find you have left behind stuff that you do need.

Where about are you going to to live? where i live a couple of K outside of Gois there are English cars and other nationalities who have been here for years and the local Police seem to do nothing.

Good luck with your plans

Peter

This Blog is for information only
http://Iberianspices.blogspot.pt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:29 pm 

Yes, you do need paperwork when transporting goods. Occasionaly we have been asked for the car registration when we buy something. All the purchase documents need to be stapled together. The police will check the receipts and the vehicle registration.There was a report on the forum many years ago where the lack of the staple resulted in a fine ! viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18557&p=175287&hilit=staple#p175287)
Roadside checks are more frequent than in the UK. Commercial vehicles are stopped most often.
However in your case you will not be able to provide documents for your household belongings. The best you can do is to keep any paperwork for new items, as well as your ferry tickets and any documents regarding your new house.
As Peter says it is unlikely that you will be stopped, and you should have no trouble explaining what you are doing. Try to avoid attracting police attention by speeding, or having missing light bulbs etc.
Best wishes.
Alan

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:35 am 

Hi
Seems my lack of knowledge may have given the wrong information but i was only speaking from my experience.

Peter

This Blog is for information only
http://Iberianspices.blogspot.pt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:13 pm 

Thanks for the replies chaps. I've picked this up in the transport section from Alan's link above.
P&C