British people in the north of Portugal – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
British people in t...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Booking.com

British people in the north of Portugal  

Page 1 / 3

VIP Member
(@nikkijonn)

Hello all, are there many British people living in the north of Portugal? Particularly Porto? And Povoa de Varzim? My partner is portuguese and is from this area - he would like to move back there but I am worried I will be lonely until I learn the language. I also have a small child so would be looking for some company :)

14 Replies
VIP Member
(@victoria1st)
Noble Member

Hi Nikki, I thought you wanted to move to Algarve?

If you think you will have difficulties in Algarve not speaking English, believe me you don't know where you are going up north where English is not a language! :shock:

VIP Member
(@chas-linda)
Illustrious Member

Oh come on Victoria :) just because where North of the Tagus or the Douro doesn't mean English isn't spoken or that there aren't many English and other nationalities in the area, historically it's links with UK far stronger than the Algarve and there are many English/Portuguese families in the area, major church and cricket/tennis club as examples.

I'm also confused as to where she'd like to move but if theirs a child in equation then "family" around could be a benefit, but nursing work without Portuguese doubt it, childminding a possibility many PT professionals in area who might think English as second language from an early age an advantage, Portuguese very family orientated so she'd probably still struggle to find employment

VIP Member
(@mickuk)
Estimable Member

It's likely that Nikki's partner (or indeed Nkki herself) could more easily find employment in Porto than the Algarve, I'd have thought, Porto being more of an industrial centre. What do others think?

VIP Member
(@chas-linda)
Illustrious Member

Yes Porto and Povoa de Varzim are industrial areas so more opportunity but everyone's hurting with crisis

Page 1 / 3

Explorations Africa Banner Ad

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Join any Group within our Online Community
    • Get social on Zoom meet-ups and webinars
    • List products free of charge in Buy, Swap, Sell & Wanted
    • Include your local events in our events calendar
    • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
    • Receive exclusive member benefits and discounts from our partners
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €20 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online