Building Supplies – Building & Renovating – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

spartan Fx

Building Supplies

Ori
Community Member
Topic starter
(@ori)

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. My partner and I are looking in to buying land in Portugal. Could I get some advice please....

Does anyone know of some resources about starting a family farm in Portugal?

Where can I go to get building supplies, used or new? 

Are there online resources for estimating building and living costs in Portugal?

Organic farming resources in Portugal? for things like seeds and tools.

Thanks

7 Replies

VIP Member
(@hartmill)
Estimable Member

If you gave us some idea of where you are proposing to do this, we might be able to help!

1 Reply
 Ori
Community Member
(@ori)

@hartmill We're really not sure where just yet. Could you help me understand why these questions are specific to location?

Admin
(@astridff)

Hi Ori, there are building supply places all over Portugal - some large commercial establishments and then smaller independent companies too. When we built, word of mouth and recommendations from people we met in the area was key.

Depending on how "organic" you want to go, permaculture gardening is extremely popular here in Portugal and there are many places you can volunteer, get a bed and food, in return for learning these skills. There are also paid courses too.

The biggest online marketplace for buying second hand goods is olx.pt

Or Facebook marketplace

Good luck

2 Replies
 FAJ
Community Member
(@faj)

@astridff Regarding second hand goods, I use mostly Facebook marketplace and have found it great for buying and selling.  is there a good community for it in Portugal? compared to the UK

Admin
(@astridff)

@faj I am not familiar with Facebook marketplace in the UK as I am Australian but from what I can see here, it is very active,

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@pamalcobaca)

Most reasonable sized towns seem to have an "agriloja" type store for gardening supplies, my town has a cooperative you can join. Plants and seeds can be found on local markets. Building supplies, I only know the big stores that might not be the cheapest -

https://www.leroymerlin.pt/ but I know there is a Facebook group where people sell their leftover building supplies that might be worth a search

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasandmatthew)

In addition to Facebook Marketplace (which can be idiosyncratic, showing things near and far, relevant and not, depending on luck...), you can try OLX.pt  The down-side here is that you'll need to know Portuguese vocab, but there is a lot of good stuff on there.

Sovereign Group Leaderboard

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online