External wall insulation? – Building & Renovating – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Martinhall banner
  • Serenity Banner
  • spartan Fx

External wall insulation?

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@jordan_zimmerman)
Trusted Member

Does anyone here have any experience adding external wall insulation to an existing house? Did it help? Was it worth the money/headaches? Can you recommend any contractors that do this in the greater Lisbon area?

Obrigado!

11 Replies

Admin
(@thomasribatejo)
Reputable Member

Hello there!  If the construction pre-dates the improvements in build quality of the last +/- 8 years, but is post-early-1950s, then it is highly likely that external wall insulation will make a noticeable difference to the heat lost through concrete and blockwork walls (coupled, if needed, with improved windows).

Make sure that you use the ETICS system, not just the various kinds of foiling etc which remain available from contractors.  ETICS is recognised at a European level for offering the best solution, so your contractor needs to be familiar with it, and able to deploy it correctly.  (Unfortunately, I have no specific contractors I can recommend.)

Remember that the key to avoiding humidity internally, before and after any such improvements, is adequate ventilation.  So much of the humidity comes from you/your activity, not the outside, so you need to allow it out, ideally through open windows or ventilation systems.  (I know you didn't mention this point, but it's easy for people to seal themselves in, in the fight against the cold!)

9 Replies
Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

Trusted Member

@thomasribatejo The house was built in 2006 but doesn't feel very insulated to me. Is ETICS still viable for such a house?

Admin
(@thomasribatejo)

Reputable Member

@jordan_zimmerman It's hard to say without seeing it, but broadly speaking, yes.  2006 was after the first energy efficiency ratings were brought in; but before the rather better ones around 7 years later, so it's not surprising it wouldn't be well insulated.  Also, not all constructors follow the regs, of course!  ETICS is designed for retrofitting to broadly modern buildings, so in general terms, it should be appropriate.

Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

Trusted Member

@thomasribatejo can you recommend anyone in the greater Lisbon/Setúbal area?

Admin
(@thomasribatejo)

Reputable Member

@jordan_zimmerman sorry, no, I have no relevant contacts covering that area.  However, you would need a "proper" firm for this, not an informal team; so looking for companies mentioning ETICS on their sites or Facebook pages would be sensible.  Sorry not to be able to suggest someone.

Premium Member
(@jeanne)

Reputable Member

@jordan_zimmerman   Out of curiosity, do you know the official energy rating of the structure (A.B...G)?  I see them indicated on property listings but am wondering how they play out in real life.

Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

Trusted Member

@jeanne We had an evaluation done and it shows category B

Premium Member
(@jeanne)

Reputable Member

@jordan_zimmerman   Interesting. I would have thought that a B category house would have quite decent insulation. So that is apparently not always the case.

Admin
(@thomasribatejo)

Reputable Member

@jeanne the ratings are generally assessed rapidly and by simple visual inspection, so without wishing to impugn those who undertake them, I do not feel their reliability is high.

(@starrynytsky)

@thomasribatejo What do you think of cork cladding?

Premium Member
(@jeanne)
Reputable Member

I am totally unqualified to give advice on this, but I will not let that stop me.  Have you confirmed that your ceiling or interior roof space is adequately insulated?  A lot of heat can escape through the top of a house, which can also cause drafting. 

• Serenity Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online