Paying to Bury Power and Comms Lines – Building & Renovating – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Paying to Bury Power and Comms Lines

4 Posts
2 Users
2 Likes
Community Member
Topic starter
(@colaresjake)

Hi all,

My wife and I just bought a house in Colares. The road in front of the house has power and communications lines in front of what would be a beautiful ocean view. Does anyone have any experience, tips, or connections that might be able to support reaching out to utilities to have the lines buried? We're happy to pay the utilities for the work, we just don't know how to begin the conversation with the utilities.

Thanks in advance,

Jake

3 Replies
Ask our Expat Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

If these are in the public realm (over the road/pavement areas) then this is likely to be a discussion between the relevant infrastructure companies (e-redes, whichever telecoms companies) and the câmara municipal, or if the road is more major, Infraestruturas de Portugal. Independently of cost, they would be the ones with the relevant rights, responsibilities and liabilities, now and post-changes. Your view will be a lesser consideration, and I do not think you would have any particular rights in this context.

It might be sensible to start either by speaking to the lawyer who assisted in your purchase, if you were happy with them; or an informal discussion at the câmara to assess their interest in cooperating (with a sympathetic Portuguese speaker, perhaps).

If any other private land is relevant, you'd substitute the owner(s) for the câmara.

Ultimately, there is no right to a view - I know you're not asserting that, but it means there may be limited sympathy relative to the work and future liability issues involved. Cables are aerial throughout Portugal, so you're working against the norm, rather than suffering from a particular disadvantage. I mention this to manage expectations, and also because your desire for a view may meet with limited sympathy, and so may not be the key thing to play on.

(I have sympathy - we would also have a much better view were it not for a multiplicity of cables on our immediate horizon. With each neighbour having at least one electrical and phone line, as well as the main high tension supplies, passing over a mixture of land ownership, there is zero chance of anything changing, sadly!)

Thomas

Discover the beautiful Ribatejo!
facebook.com/groups/ribatejoliving

Need help with planning, surveys and restoration?  Contact us!
reabilitejo.pt or facebook.com/reabilitejo

1 Reply
Community Member
(@colaresjake)

Hi @thomasribatejo,

Thanks so much for the quick and thorough response. I appreciate the expectation-setting and will take your advice regarding the attorney and Câmara.  

The comms lines are on our side of the road (and are the particularly unsightly cables) and may actually be on our plot, but in front of our fence. I'm still working on whether we technically have claim to that land or not, to be honest.

If we were to ascertain that they were indeed running on our property, would you recommend any different course of action?

Thanks,

Jake

Ask our Expat Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

If they're on/over your land, then your right to discuss it is higher, and the câmara may not need to be involved (by you, at least). A topographical survey could establish definitively the boundary, which would help - it's quite likely that they sit just outside your land, however, as this would have been least hassle initially.

If they are on your land, then, in a sense, they'd need to engage with you to a point. Your lawyer would be able to assess how far you might be able to press the issue - people do have success with cables over house frontages at times (though there are serious downsides to burying cables in façades - not pertinent here). However, they may just move them x feet off your land, and otherwise leave them! 

Thomas

Discover the beautiful Ribatejo!
facebook.com/groups/ribatejoliving

Need help with planning, surveys and restoration?  Contact us!
reabilitejo.pt or facebook.com/reabilitejo

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal