Radiators with instant on hot water heater or electric heat via towel warmers... spousal debate – Building & Renovating – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Radiators with instant on hot water heater or electric heat via towel warmers... spousal debate

13 Posts
6 Users
8 Likes
Premium Member
Topic starter
(@emergentt)

Ok. totally first world problem I know but we are renovating our house (mildly) and will eventually move towards solar power and mostly electric but...

in the meantime, to heat the bathrooms we have radiator towel warmers which are fed by the instant on heater. 

My questions to the group wisdom are:

- If the radiators/towel warmers are powered by the instant on heater... does that mean the heater is running constantly while the radiators are in use? Seems really inefficient to me... but that's how radiators work right?

- If the idea is to keep bathrooms (specifically) warm and keep the radiators on or switch to electric towel warmers, which is 'best'? For various definitions of best. (efficiency, cost, etc.). Seems like running the instant on heater all night is a bad idea...

thanks for your opinions...

I'm used to forced air heat the US so radiators a new thing to me...

gene

Topic Tags
12 Replies

VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

Your water heater is gas? 

It depends on the efficiency of the radiators and ambient temp. 

I wouldn't think electric towel warmers would be very useful in warming the bathroom. 

Our apartments previous tenant took the electric towel warmer. It must have been theirs. 

Lucky, we have the electric split unit with heat, cool, dehumidify and it covers the entire apt at 55 sq meters. 

I think those units are the best option long term. 

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@emergentt)

Yes. It is an "instant on" heater which is usually very efficient for heating showers and kitchen use. I just don't know how it works for heating radiators...  vs switching to an electric unit...

g

2 Replies
VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

@emergentt Yea, no clue. I just know gas is not nearly as cheap here as it in the US. Our apartment when it was renovated had all the gas capped off and replaced with all electric appliances. We are thankful for the low utility bills.

Premium Member
(@jeanne)

@emergentt   Are you wanting to keep the bathroom(s) heated 24/7 as is typical in the US? Or are you wanting to quickly warm the room only e.g. when you take a shower?  If the latter, you could look into mounting an electric, infrared heater at ceiling level.

Rui
Community Member
(@rui)

many apartments are using gas because it was cheap some years ago. it works well and the air quality is not affected. but the system needs more maintenance. and you need to adjust the valves for each room. the advantage is that is quicker response than electric systems. at least the ones I tried

Premium Member
(@blaze451)

in the UK gas central heating via radiators is the norm but we never run any radiators 24/7. The combi boiler is on a timer which can be programmed to turn on/off the central heating at different times of the day. Usually on 1 hr before you get up and off when you go to bed or when you leave for and return from work. If the bathroom needs to be warm all the time then an electric towel rail would be used instead of a radiator.

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year

Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Guaranteed entry to our Migration Tuesdays Visa & Immigration Show
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon