Rendering/Plastering – Building & Renovating – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

EI Banner

Rendering/Plastering

Community Member
Topic starter
(@grizzly)

I'm new to this so not sure if I'm in the right place for seeking advice, but here goes.

Have a place in central Portugal (near Tomar), that we'll be moving to permanently in the near future. I've got several outbuildings that I have plans for. The inside of all of my outbuildings are bare brick or cinderblock. My question is this - would I use the same or similar materials to plaster the insides of these buildings? (I'm not a builder but a competent and confident DIY'er). In similarly built outbuildings in the UK I have used a base coat of sand & cement (6-1 with plasticiser), then 2 coats of multi finish. In the house, depending on the conditions I'd either skim with multi finish or use plasterboard then a top coat.

Sorry this is a bit long winded, but can anyone offer some advice re products and method. Thanks in advance 

Grizzly 

8 Replies

Admin
(@astridff)

Hi Grizzly,

We are about to complete renovating one of our stone houses but had to rebuild one of the walls with bricks. On some walls we coated with concrete then painted and on others we put up plasterboard then painted. 

The house is small so where we just painting the concrete was to ensure we did not look more floor space (due to the walls being irregular), so from our experience, either would be fine.

Due to the location, dampness in winter was a concern so my husband (who is an architect) was keen to ensure the house was a "passive" as possible. Internal and external insulation was the most important thing, including putting down geo drains all around the house.

Not too sure if you are looking for more specific information... if so, let me know and I will ask my husband which products he chose to use.

Astrid

4 Replies
Community Member
(@grizzly)

Wow, thanks for the prompt reply. A friend has made mention of dealing with the damp in winter and as these buildings are detached from the house I haven't worked out a solution to that yet. I would be grateful if you could ask your husband about the products  ( e.g. Does a simple sand and cement mix work or does the Portuguese climate require something different, and is are there equivalents to multi finish, bonding plaster  etc)

Thanks in advance 

Grizzly 

Admin
(@astridff)

Community Member
(@grizzly)

That's great, thanks very much

Community Member
(@jeanne)

Estimable Member

@astridff hi Astrid,  can your architect husband shed any light on the possibility of retro- insulating a property and installing some sort of heat system?   Ive seen interesting older houses online w no heating and am wondering whether its possible to make them more comfortable and energy efficient after the fact.  Where I live in the US we are close to obsessive about house insulation. And at my age i dont want to spend winter months in a cold or damp house.  Am also not enthusiasyic about heating with a wood fire as, for all its romance, it is detrimental to air quality.  Thx. 

Community Member
(@martin)
Noble Member

best tool you can get is a float sponge which I without any experience managed to be able to use with not bad finish (but not perfect portuguese builder rendering)

always important to sift the sand or buy it as pure as possible and avoid sea sand as the salts will be forever coming thru the paintwork

good video here to see

Plastering Sponge Floats, Stucco Sponge Floats, Rendering Sponge floats, Killer Bee floats - YouTube

Community Member
(@martin)
Noble Member

Community Member
Topic starter
(@grizzly)

Sorry Martin,

Just realised that I didn't reply. I'm not usually that ignorant. Thanks for the info.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online