Septic systems and dehumidifying chemical packets...? – Building & Renovating – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Septic systems and dehumidifying chemical packets...?

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Premium Member
Topic starter
(@emergentt)

Sorry but a total septic newbie question.Β  We have a house (built in 1995) with a septic system.

We also over the last few months have purchased and used those dehumidifying packets and boxes from Leroy Merlin which extract liquid out of the air with a chemical system leaving a slightly yellow colored water in the 'tank'. They come with new white chemical blocks to set on them to 'recharge' the dehumidifier.

Question: With a septic system, can we just pour the liquid down the drain into the septic system? I realize now that septic systems have a lot of natural enzymes and processes which help with the septic degradation process and I don't want to screw anything up? I ALSO realize now that maybe just relying on a electric dehumidifier may be the best option going forward.

Thanks for any advice/opinions.

Gene

4 Replies

Ask our Expat Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

Do you know what type of septic system you have?Β  Does it leach out (as older ones did, including into the 90s) or is it fully contained and requiring emptying?

Β 

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@emergentt)

Thanks. I'm not sure but the prior owners seemed to say they only had it emptied once or twice so I'm guessing it leeches out... again my ignorance is greater than even my wife imagined... πŸ™‚

Ask our Expat Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

If it leaches out (or there's a good chance it does) then I would minimise any chemicals going into it (including bleach, etc).Β  You need the composting process to work naturally, not be stopped by chemical imbalance.Β  I would find somewhere else to pour your saline solution - somewhere it won't affect plants/animals.Β  This kind of thing is a little annoying - it's the same thing after painting, when cleaning brushes, disposing of thinners, etc...Β  But best to keep your septic system to the necessary waste, with toilet paper, and as little else as possible.Β  We use eco laundry products and washing up liquid, and are careful with any other cleaners.Β  You'll get used to it!

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@emergentt)

Excellent. Thank you!!

g

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year

Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your β€˜12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Guaranteed entry to our Migration Tuesdays Visa & Immigration Show
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon