Solar Systems in Portugal – Building & Renovating – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

Solar Systems in Portugal

Page 1 / 2

Cara
Community Member
Topic starter
(@cara)

If anyone can help with any ideas about any of these ideas. It would be much appreciated.

I want to put in a sizable solar system on my property in Portugal.  Since I have quite a lot of land, I plan to ground mount it rather than place it on the roof.

Our plan is to have a 15Kw system with Micro inverters. Is planning permission needed in Portugal for a solar installation?

Our property has an existing connection to the power grid.  Whether or not we will install batteries (an expensive part of any system) depends on whether we can sell the power generated to the grid at a decent rate during daylight hours. 

The goal is just to zero out our power bill and reduce our environmental footprint.  We are not aiming to be totally off grid.

On another note, our property also has a stream on it with a fair current, as the land slopes.  If anyone knows anything about water power generation, or if this is even feasible please let me know.

Essentially, I am looking for recommendations for reliable solar companies in Portugal and any tips from people who have done this before.  We have a budget of about Euro 35,000 to get the system up and running. If we can come in under that, it would be great. 

Many thanks.

12 Replies

VIP Member
(@barlaventoexpert)
Honorable Member

In which region of Portugal is your property located.

There are various companies of reference up & down the land.

Cara
Community Member
Topic starter
(@cara)

About 8km east of Figueira da Foz in central Portugal. Thanks

Community Member
(@martin)
Famed Member

edp have a  scheme

https://www.edp.pt/particulares/servicos/energia-solar/

It might have changed (??) but a few years ago lots of folk installed systems to make  electricity and sell to edp, then the govt decided to income tax the person selling it...and then went on to say "oh your a small manufacturing firm" so you must pay social security on your enterprize and then oh yes we are going to backdate it five years.

needless to say it had a bad effect

2 Replies
 Cara
Community Member
(@cara)

@martin That sounds like a forward thinking policy!! Totally off grid is sounding better and better to me.  My husband favors off grid, but i really don't want it because I think the batteries are so expensive and bad for the environment. I won't be selling any power to the grid if I'm going to be charged social security as a company.  Sounds insane to me.

Community Member
(@martin)

Famed Member

@cara 

if it were me I would not go completely "off grid" -  know of one couple who because of the cost of bringing pylons to their villa  - they had to go on their own "steam" and had no choice.

they were still plagued with problems like batteries going wrong and costing a fortune to fix or replace.

have you checked the videos from the edp website. They are offering discounts and lot of info on batteries etc  (cannot see any English translation)

As for trying to earn money from power generation - then assume  you will be taxed!

VIP Member
(@hartmill)
Estimable Member

Speak to Geosolar in Viseu. They are well established and have been in business for the last 12 years. The owner speaks good English and is very knowledgable on the subject.

1 Reply
 Cara
Community Member
(@cara)

@hartmill Many thanks. Have you set up your own system with success through this company?

Page 1 / 2

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Serenity Banner
  • EI Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our exclusive 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ video content
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support from Expats Portugal team
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online