Vauxhall Movano campervan, uk licence plates 2002 – For Sale – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Vauxhall Movano cam...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Vauxhall Movano campervan, uk licence plates 2002

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@eefcawdor28)

Anybody interested to buy my campervan as I don’t really want to go back to the UK to sell it there. I have used it to bring a lot of my stuff over. It has a fridge on gas and electric, full hob and double oven, hot and cold water, toilet and wash basin, lots of storage cabinets. Small bed at the back and one swivel chair to make a bed. I had the swivel taken out of the drivers seat as I could not drive properly as I am only 5’4”. It has a roll out awning.

9 Replies

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

I assume you are unaware that it is illegal to sell a foreign registered vehicle in Portugal, if you get caught you will be liable to ALL the ISV due (no new resident exemption).

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@eefcawdor28)

The plan was to sell it to someone going back to the uk. I didn’t know that that is illegal 

1 Reply
VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@eefcawdor28 

It doesn't matter who you sell it to or what they do with it. It's not just a Portugal thing, it applies throughout the EU.

Article 4(b) of the relevant EU Directive,
(b) the private vehicle is not disposed of, hired out or lent in the Member State of temporary importation

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@eefcawdor28)

Ok, I will drive it back then totheukand sell it there

4 Replies
Premium Member
(@tygger)

Estimable Member

@eefcawdor28 Or sell it in the UK via Autotrader and get them to come and collect it.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member
Posted by: @tygger

@eefcawdor28 Or sell it in the UK via Autotrader and get them to come and collect it.

You might find it beneficial to acquaint yourself with the law in Portugal so as to avoid giving advise to people that (if they followed your advice) would put them in contravention of it.

Premium Member
(@tygger)

Estimable Member

@old-bloke I can't see the problem with selling an English registered vehicle to someone living in England, could get a relative or friend to act for them. If there's a problem in Portugal, then just drive it to Santander and hand it over in the ferry port.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member
Posted by: @tygger

@old-bloke I can't see the problem with selling an English registered vehicle to someone living in England, could get a relative or friend to act for them. If there's a problem in Portugal, then just drive it to Santander and hand it over in the ferry port.

That would just transfer the offence to Spain (see my post above quoting the EU Directive), selling is disposing. The wording of the relevant international treaties (that are adopted into EU and national laws) effectively require the owner (or one of their immediate family) who took the vehicle out of the country of origin to return it back there.

As with all laws, some people break them and go undetected, some get caught and pay the penalty (a very expensive penalty in Portugal - up to 6 times the ISV that would be due). It is up to the individual which path they choose, I just feel they should make their choice whilst being aware of the consequences.

Your suggestion re Santander would be a legal work around if the owner drove the vehicle onto the ferry and handed it over to the buyer on the ferry, but not in the ferry port itself. 

Premium Member
(@tygger)
Estimable Member

@Eveline If it's of any help to you, I live near to the Portsmouth Ferryport and can help you get the vehicle back to the UK, if you're interested then please DM me for privacy.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step move to Portugal online course hosted by Carl Munson. Join today and save €100.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online