Colégio de São José – Coimbra and surrounds – Expats Portugal Community Forum

learn portuguese

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Colégio de São José

Community Member
Topic starter
(@timbo)

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with this school in Coimbra?  We have 2 high school aged children and are considering relocating to the area.  We will be visiting Portugal this summer for 2 weeks.

Thanks,

Tim

3 Replies
Premium Member
(@charw23)
Eminent Member

Hi Timbo, 

We did some checking back in the day with this school, and here's the information we gathered. 🙂 I'll copy and paste, so it's from the email they sent. 

Colégio de São José (CSJ) in Coimbra is, in fact, a Clonlara School campus. We teach both Portuguese and American curriculum following the Clonlara "Full Circle Learning" methodology, as in the central school, in Ann Arbour, Michigan.

We accept students from the USA - in fact we have had some in the last years. The only requirement is that we get a copy of your child's school records, but since they would be transferred from a school in the USA to an international school with american curriculum, there won't be a need to do an equivalence process.

I will be very happy to show you the school when you visit Portugal next year.

You can also find more information on the following websites:

https://clonlara.org

https://www.colegiosjose.pt

We have american curriculum from Kindergarten to 12th grade.

As for the Portuguese program, it only goes up to 9th grade.

We are a very small school, with around 200 students. We always recommend that foreign students enroll in our international program, at least for their adaptation year, but they are also welcome to enroll in the Portuguese system.

Enrollments are open from March 1st until July 15th.

Let me know if you'd like the two attachments they sent, or the point of contact. They sent the *family handbook* and registration/fee schedule. 

Hope that helps. 

Char

Community Member
Topic starter
(@timbo)

Hi Char,

Appreciate the response!  We actually wrote them as well to see if we could visit in July so perhaps I'll get a similar response.  I assume you found a solution elsewhere?....I was just looking to some first hand knowledge of the quality of teaching and course selections for high school students.

Tim

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@charw23)

Eminent Member

@timbo

Olá Tim, 

My pleasure. Hope you get an opportunity to visit. We had been interviewing schools since last March, and did settle on a different solution. I'm sure you'll land on what works well for your family and kids. This forum is filled with lots of great advice and input. All the best!

Char

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online