What's available in Coimbra for Classical Music? – Coimbra and surrounds – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

What's available in Coimbra for Classical Music?

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@kkcwalton)
Trusted Member

Sure, there's Fado, but is there much availability of classical music concerts -- and other types of music?  I'm hoping the university has concerts but I haven't found much online.  My fantasy is one can walk down the street and find small concerts all over town, as there are in Germany.  

Just curious... Thanks!

4 Replies

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

There is a certain amount of classical music in Coimbra, but not as much as one might hope. Coimbra University doesn't have a music department (main locations for studying music are Lisbon, Porto and Évora), and it's a small city of fewer than 100k people.

However, it has a significant heritage, notably linked to the convents/monasteries, and with collections in the university library. There are a number of festivals linked to the former each year - many are essential sacred choral music.

It's unfortunate that the lusophone world's premier university has a relatively narrow range of fields of study - without music being part of this, the embedded musical tradition is not really there. 

As I don't live there - although I visited regularly whilst my partner was studying there, and classical music is what I seek out! - I may well be unaware of the existence of more - but the main opportunities to hear or perform classical music are elsewhere, I'm afraid.

3 Replies
Premium Member
(@kkcwalton)

Trusted Member

@thomasribatejo Thank you Thomas.  I guess there are always quick trips to Porto for the good stuff!

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

@kkcwalton there will be stuff, for sure - just not as much as you or I might like! Keep your eyes open for things in Braga and Aveiro as well as the other places mentioned; and then there's the Alcobaça festival (just ended) and some others... Maybe we should have a thread here for such things, to share info?

Premium Member
(@kkcwalton)

Trusted Member

@thomasribatejo What a great idea Thomas.  Maybe a Classical Music in Portugal forum?  I understand Cascais has a symphony but that's getting far from Coimbra -- but helpful for others.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step move to Portugal online course hosted by Carl Munson. Join today and save €100.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online