Where are the students concentrated? – Coimbra and surrounds – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Where are the students concentrated?

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Premium Member
Topic starter
(@aclinemissouristate-edu)

We're fewer than two months away from our scouting trip. We'll be checking out Coimbra along with Porto/Gaia/Matosinhos.

I'm trying to pinpoint, to the extent possible, which neighborhood in Coimbra is home to most of the students. I understand that, like most university towns, the students may be everywhere. But there usually is one spot that's most attractive to them.

What's that spot in Coimbra?

Thanks for any help!

4 Replies

Iggy
Premium Member
(@iggy)

Coimbra is not that big, but as usual near the University on the Hill, or around the foot of the hill, couple of hundred meters from the main bridge and tourist (not very tourist ok.. ) square facing the bridge.

So no spot, and please respect them, they are students, not a tourist attraction. 

1 Reply
Premium Member

@iggy thanks for sharing that. The geography does appear to have at least a modest effect on their choices of housing from what I'm seeing so far. My goal is not so much to avoid students (not possible or even desirable) but instead to avoid a high concentration of students.

Iggy
Premium Member
(@iggy)

Hi Andrew

Coimbra is small. An University city but also the main town in the region.

Seems Rowling was there and she liked it.

Very much older than Cambridge or Oxford but still a bit more affordable for international students...

Love the Botanical gardens there, and other things like Salamanca Spain.

But don't drive up the housing prices there. 

Lots of places around Coimbra where the prices are lower and the roads are good. 20 minute drive. 

1 Reply
Premium Member

@iggy re: driving up prices... yes, another reason to avoid a high concentration of students. I am hoping the help we get here and from various professionals will help us find a place that fits our budget and is not inflated. We're planning to be in the city because we will not be car drivers.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal