Portuguese Cook Book recommendations? – Cooking, Food, Wine & Eating Out – Expats Portugal Community Forum

learn portuguese

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

winsurance banner

Portuguese Cook Book recommendations?

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@pinehouse)
Eminent Member

Just loved watching and listening to Carl talk to Frank Devane on "Frank about Food". Will be making a food pilgrimage to Tras-os-Montes in the future!

Can all you cooks out there kindly recommend some of your favourite Portuguese cook books?

Thanks!

13 Replies

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@anavieira)

This is the Portuguese cook bible: «Cozinha Tradicional Portuguesa», from Maria de Lourdes Modesto.

She had a famous portuguese tv show for about 12 years, still in black and white television. 

Almost every house has this book. 😀 
Not modern not fancy, not design food, not Michelin stars, but all the good traditional Portuguese food 

https://www.wook.pt/livro/cozinha-tradicional-portuguesa-maria-de-lourdes-modesto/14304137

Its in Portuguese but it is a must have if you like portuguese food 😍 

Ana

7 Replies
Premium Member
(@pinehouse)

Eminent Member

@anavieira

Thank you Ana for your great recommendation, I will definitely buy this bible of Portuguese Cuisine!

(@thomasandmatthew)

@anavieira this one exists in English, too, as luck would have it 🙂

(@anavieira)

(@thomasandmatthew)

@anavieira not useful for most people right now, but the FNAC at Lisbon Airport had several copies last year... It's probably traceable in more tourist-focused places, or online. It's an expensive book, but definitive and excellent!

Premium Member
(@pinehouse)

Eminent Member

@thomasandmatthew

Oh! wow, that's great advice.  This is the bible as Ana says!

bife
VIP Member
(@bife)

Reputable Member

@thomasandmatthew

I got that for my mum in English years ago, she still loves it

These have it

https://www.almedina.net/traditional-portuguese-cooking-1563838696.html

or you can buy it 2nd hand from Abebooks for 400 US 😱 

Premium Member
(@pinehouse)

Eminent Member

@bife

I managed to buy it NEW on Wook.pt for Euros 59.95!

Can't believe my luck!

Bert
Premium Member
(@bert)
Estimable Member

Thank you Ana. I have many Portuguese cookbooks but not this one. BTW if you are in the US I just checked amazon and the price is $215. I have shipped several books from WOOK to the US and they have very good service. It is CTT that sometimes has a bad day in the pandemic

(@pamalcobaca)

Not a book, but if you're in Portugal there is a great TV cooking show called Prato do dia with Filipa Gomes. She also does one called Cozinha com Twist, both on the channel 24 Kitchen (which is all cookery shows). Even out of Portugal you may be able to see some online. I also found it very good for learning Portuguese! https://www.24kitchen.pt/prato-do-dia

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@pinehouse)

Eminent Member

@pamalcobaca 

Not in Portugal yet, in the USA but our new house awaits us in the Algarve when we can get there 😕. I will see if I can find the show online meanwhile! Glad to hear about channel 24 kitchen. Thanks so much for writing and letting me know! 

Ralf
Premium Member
(@ralf)

One of the first side trips I will take when I settle in Portugal is to the Basque region of Spain. Some of the best food in the world, without a doubt.

1 Reply
VIP Member
(@x-camone)

Noble Member

@ralf

Galiza's none too shabby either.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online