What's everyone cooking during #stayathome – Cooking, Food, Wine & Eating Out – Expats Portugal Community Forum
What's everyone coo...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Booking.com

What's everyone cooking during #stayathome  

Susy
Community Member
(@susy)

Keen to share some good updates during these difficult times and keen to hear from others what they're cooking at home.

To keep the kids entertained last night, we made homemade ravioli stuffed with shiitake mushrooms (we grew ourselves), spinach and ricotta. Once cooked, we drizzled olive oil (from our trees) over with shaved parmesan and cracked pepper. Amazing.

Looking for inspiration... what's for your dinner tonight.

Topic Tags
6 Replies
VIP Member
(@peterfc)
Famed Member

Hi All

For me i have just had a Chicken Kormad i am lucky having the Spices i have curries are a favourite with me. This is a recipe i received from friend. It says to use 50gr of chopped almonds i put most in the curry and kept some for as part of the garnish.

Enjoy and stay safe.

Peter

Chicken korma

• 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 large onion chopped
  • 4 whole cloves
  • 4 cardamom pods crushed in a Pestle and Mortar
  • 4 skinless, boneless breast cut into 2 cm size pieces
  • 3 cloves, crushed in a Pestle and Mortar
  • Add about 1 inch piece of fresh ginger grated
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1½ tsp ground cumin
  • ½ tsp ground turmeric
  • 1 tsp mild chilli powder
  • 2  tsp tomato purée
  • 250ml chicken stock
  • 200ml cream
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 50g almond flakes toasted for garnish
  • chopped coriander, to garnish (optional

Instructions

1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and When the oil is hot fry the onion, cloves and cardamom pods for a few minutes until the onion begins to soften.
  2. Add the chicken, garlic, ginger and after frying for about 5 minutes then add all the remaining spices. Stir in the pan while allowing them to release their flavours into the chicken.
  3. Add the tomato purée, ground almonds, stock and cream and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes until reduced like thick cream. Taste and add seasoning if it needs it.
  4. Garnish with toasted almonds and coriander leaf

Community Member
(@ollie-wetravel)

Was looking for something to do with some tinned sardines in my cupboard and thought this recipe was great. It's a pretty simple and delicious pasta with some tinned Portuguese sardines

Ingredients:

• 2 tbs Olive Oil
  • ½ red pepper finely sliced
  • 1 medium red onion, finely sliced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • ½ cup of Olives, sliced
  • 1 cup (18 small) cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
  • 2 tbs tomato paste
  • ½ red chilli pepper without excessive seeds, sliced
  • 1 tin of sardines
  • Basil leaves, to taste
  • 200 grams of dried Spaghetti
  • Black Pepper
  • Lemon Zest
  • ½ cup of white wine/lemon juice

Instructions:

1. Place a big frying pan over a medium heat, add the olive oil and a drizzle of the sardine oil. When hot, add the bell pepper and cook until soft.
  2. Fry the red onion and garlic for a few more minutes.
  3. Add the olives and let everything slowly fry until it reaches a softer texture.
  4. Move your ingredients to one side of the frying pan and if necessary add another splash of olive oil and lightly fry your cherry tomatoes and basil leaves.
  5. Once the skin of the tomatoes start wrinkling, combine it with the rest of the pan, and add our chilli pepper and the sardines, breaking it into smaller pieces.
  6. Add zests of one lemon and a splash of white wine or lemon juice to deglaze the pan and bring all those flavours together. Let it sizzle for another couple of minutes.
  7. Cook your pasta to the instructions.
  8. Add the tomato paste and half of a cup of the pasta water into your sauce. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 3-5 minutes. The starch from the pasta water will help the sauce to bond with the spaghetti. Try the sauce and check if you need to adjust the salt or add another splash of pasta water. As some of the ingredients already contain salt, you might not need extra.
  9. Drain the pasta and add it immediately into the saucepan and combine everything.

Source: https://wetravelportugal.com/sardine-pasta/

Community Member
(@chicomike)

I have been making some Portuguese recipes on youtube. I I originally made the videos at the request of my daughters so they would know how to cook Portuguese food. The YouTube channel is "Just cook with Michael" 

my Portuguese recipes by viewing my "Portuguese Recipe Playlist" at the following link:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQitjwuTt8_1EuTE5WKbTQw/playlists

1 Reply
Admin
(@astridff)

@chicomike great video Michael. You should do a live cooking demo for us

VIP Member
(@peterfc)
Famed Member

Hi All

I have spent a little time remembering my Mum who has recently passed away and one thing she made was mince and onions well guess what i have made it for my evening meal tonight.

250 gr Mince the best you can get.

I Medium onion

2 Garlic cloves

1 Carrot

1 Tea spoon of Mixed herbs.

1 Tea spoon of gravy granules

Tabasco

Worcester sauce

Put the mince in a pan and add your chopped onions, chopped garlic and mixed herbs cover the mix with water and simmer but keep mixing everything so the mince gets cooked. after half an hour chop up the carrot  small and add to the mince along with a dash of Tabasco and Worcester sauce. Let everything simmer for another half hour or until most of the water has evaporated but still some is left. Ten minutes before you are ready to serve add the gravy granules and add to mash and peas.

1 Reply
Admin
(@astridff)

@peterfc sounds delicious Peter. Where do you get gravy granules in Portugal?

Sovereign Group Leaderboard

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Join any Group within our Online Community
    • Get social on Zoom meet-ups and webinars
    • List products free of charge in Buy, Swap, Sell & Wanted
    • Include your local events in our events calendar
    • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
    • Receive exclusive member benefits and discounts from our partners
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €20 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online