9 of Lisbon's churches with old presépios (nativity scenes)
- Basílica da Estrela (Praça da Estrela). This baroque presépio was made in 1785, by request of Queen Maria I, and is the bigger in Portugal, with more than 400 figures. Open at 0300 PM (unless religious ceremonies are taking place). Ticket: €2.
- Mosteiro da Anunciada/Igreja Paroquial de São José (Rua de S. José, 21A). This terracotta presépio was made in the XVIII century, and includes rare scenes like "The escape to Egipt". Open Monday to Saturday 0130 PM to 0700 PM, Sunday 0930 AM to 0500 PM. Free entry.
- Capela de Nossa Senhora do Monte (Rua da Nossa Senhora do Monte, 54). This presépio was made in the mid 1700's. Open Monday to Wednesday, Friday and Saturday 0300 PM to 0600 PM, Sunday 0900 AM to 1200 AM. Free entry.
- Igreja Paroquial de Santa Engrácia (Calçada dos Barbadinhos). The pieces of this presépio were made in the XVIII, XIX and XX centuries. Tuesday and Thursday 0400 PM to 0800 PM, Saturday 0400 PM to 0700 PM, Sunday 1000 AM to 0100 PM. Free entry.
- Igreja Paroquial de Nossa Senhora da Encarnação da Ameixoeira (Estrada da Ameixoeira, 118). This XVIII century presépio includes several scenes, like the newborn massacre. Open Tuesday to Saturday 0900 AM to 0600 PM, Sunday 0900 AM to 0600 PM. Free entry.
- Igreja de Nossa Senhora de Fátima (Avenida Marquês de Tomar). This presépio, made in 1958, contains 24 clay figures. Open Monday to friday 0800 AM to 0100 PM and 0400 PM to 0800 PM. Free entry.
- Igreja da Madre de Deus (Rua da Madre de Deus, 48). This big presépio, with some of its figures being 70 cm tall, was made in the XVIII century. Open Tuesday to Sunday 1000 AM to 0100 PM and 0200 PM to 0600 PM. Tickets (give access to the church and National Tile Museum): €5.
- Sé Paroquial de Lisboa (Largo da Sé). XVIII century presépio, made by one of the main presépio builders of the time. Tickets (give access to the Cathedral, Museum and presépio): €4, €2 (children 7-12 yo), free for children up to 6 yo.
- Basílica dos Mártires (Rua Serpa Pinto, 100). This is one of the most spectacular presépios, made in the XVIII century, containing 126 figures. Open Monday to Friday 0900AM to 0700PM, weekends 1000Am to 0730PM. Free entry.
For more info please see culturanarua.pt