Another Milestone!!!!!!!!! – Forum Etiquette & Announcements – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Martinhall banner
  • Serenity Banner

Another Milestone!!!!!!!!!

Admin
Topic starter
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

On behalf of the expatsportugal team, I am delighted to announce that we have just crossed over the 9,000 membership mark. This means the membership has grown by 50% since we took over and launched the current site in March 2020. We are on our way to 10,000 members 🙂 🙂 🙂 

Thank you to all our members for your excellent support. I would also like to thank the team, @astridff, @carlm and @sally-in-lisbon, our AOE people and the many others who help to make this such a valuable community.

We have lots of new plans in the pipeline, including a revamp of the website and new features under development. These will be announced in due course but meanwhile, we are always open to suggestions as to how we can improve further so feel free to drop us a line.

Again, thank you everyone and best wishes

Gerry

5 Replies

Community Member
(@martin)
Famed Member

whats the metric for milestone? 😷 

2 Replies
Admin
(@gerry)

Honorable Member

@martin

OK I give up - what's the answer 🤔 

Community Member
(@martin)

Famed Member

@gerry   no idea was just wondering however i found this explanation

It's a milestone, not mile stone. It's not unit of measure, but imaginary waypoint towards a goal. So metric/vs imperial system has no effect here. Milestone is milestone everywhere. Everywhere where people speak English as primary language, which is almost nowhere - just UK and (some) British ex-colonies. Nobody measures anything in milestones, and there's no set length or distance to a milestone.

And metric system users do use nautical miles for example. Not as official part of SI-system, but still do. It's not all black and white.

Yes, we do say milestone. But only for projects and such, not for actual distance indicators on roads. Directly translated, those would be kilometer poles. Because they are little poles, and have kilometers on them.

Milestones are not historically miles. The Romans used them as distance markers on roads where they counted out a thousand paces - "mille" is Latin for thousand. The word came into English as "mile". Different standard pace lengths were used at different times and places. Generally, the Roman mille passus is slightly less than a statute mile

Premium Member
(@jgibson)
Reputable Member

🤘🤘🤘🤘

Ralf
Premium Member
(@ralf)
Estimable Member

With the team you have, you will pass 10K in a hurry, and the next 10,000 will come much faster, no doubt.

• EI Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Serenity Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online