Rental Property Search – Forum Etiquette & Announcements – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Rental Property Search

15 Posts
6 Users
24 Likes
Community Member
Topic starter
(@barry_and_lisa)

Hello - Has anyone used [SpotaHome] or LongTermLettings.com? If so, did you find them to be reliable? Prior to finding them, I primarily searched via https://www.idealista.pt/. Please recommend any other search sites you have had success with.

Thank you so much - 

Lisa

14 Replies
Community Member
Topic starter
(@barry_and_lisa)

So Sorry, after exploring the site, I found [SpotaHome] in the Perks tab. Any insight on LongTermLettings.com is appreciated.

2 Replies
Community Member
(@christinel)

@barry_and_lisa

i found long term letting to be anything but! If you want annual rent, you are probably best to use idealista. We eventually found a rental on there advertised by Remax. All went through very smoothly, English speaking solicitor did the contract. We are still here a year later. Landlord is lovely and we see them often. 

There was a rumour going round that there would be more rentals on the market this year, I haven’t found that to be the case. I think there is less on the market this year than last. 

Anonymous

Community Member
Topic starter
(@barry_and_lisa)

Ola, Peggie -

Wow! Thank you for the extensive list. We experienced Vila Nova de Gaia, Porto, Sintra, Cascais and Lisbon during our stay in 2019. We were considering a few areas for our first year to explore before settling for more permanent accommodations:

- Lisbon area (Lisbon to Cascais and towns between)

- Setubal (in contact with a couple other Californians who live there)

- Coimbra

10 Replies
 Anonymous

@barry_and_lisa

We thought we would prefer the north so we started in the north and worked our way south. When we got to the Algarve, we fell in love. So then we concentrated on the Algarve. That is not to say that all the other areas are not beautiful. Every area has it's own uniqueness. Every area is special. You just need to find the place that's right for you. I had to pull my husband down here screaming & kicking because he wanted to be in the north. Then he toured the algarve! He loves it as much as I do. For more on the differences in house hunting in Pt. vs in the US. See my article on this site.

@peggyL

Community Member
(@barry_and_lisa)

@peggyl Thanks so much, Peggie. We will definitely keep our mind open and explore a lot. I'm originally from northern CA. Growing up I never lived more than 30 min from the coast. It is what I missed most moving to NC. So wherever we land permanently, it will be a close shot to the water. 

We look forward to connecting with the Expat Portugal family when we finally arrive (hoping for late summer).

Cheers - Lisa

Premium Member
(@alleycat)

@barry_and_lisa   Hi Barry & Lisa, we are Allison & Michael...also from Northern CA (San Rafael) and in the midst of doing much remote research towards our plan of moving to PT. We've missed several planned trips to fly over for on-the-ground research...but have been foiled by the lock downs and concern for our safety...so now we've decided to just get a D7 and go, sight unseen! We've learned and heard so much about the positive aspects of living there, that we have faith we're going to like it. Now we have to figure out where to concentrate our search for our first obligatory lease. We're curious if you made it over with your D7s and where you landed and how you found your abode...if you care to share that with us. Currently we are intrigued with the Alentejo region, such as Tomar, or perhaps closer to the Silver Coast such as Caldas de Raina.  Weather is important to us, don't want it to be too damp and chilly in Winter and the Algarve may be a bit too hot in the Summer....Goldy-locks syndrome!  We hope all has gone smoothly for you guys so far. We hope to be there by April. Thanks, A & M

Community Member
(@antonio_f)

@alleycat 

Pay atention that it can be hotter in the Alentejo than in the Algarve in Summer. Caldas da Rainha might be a more suitable region of those 3, if your worry is the hot weather.

Ask our Expat Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

@antonio_f is absolutely right - the temperature differential is much more about coast versus inland, than north versus south.  This affects both summer and winter temperatures.  In simple terms, coasts are more moderate year round; whereas in the Tomar area, for instance, it can get into the low 40s for a few weeks in the summer; and it can be below freezing for a bit in winter - whereas neither of these is at all usual on any part of the coastline.

Separately, being chilly and damp is at least as likely to be about the house you buy, not simply the outside temperature or humidity.  

By the way, Tomar is in the Ribatejo (or, in modern regional terms, "Central Portugal"= - not the Alentejo.  I point this out not to be picky, but because it might help when looking for information and resources.

Thomas

Discover the beautiful Ribatejo!
facebook.com/groups/ribatejoliving

Need help with planning, surveys and restoration?  Contact us!
reabilitejo.pt or facebook.com/reabilitejo

Premium Member
(@alleycat)

@thomasribatejo Hi Thomas...Yes, I made the regional term mistake...I did mean to say Ribatejo, not Alentejo, thank you for pointing that out!  So you live in Santarem, does is get quite hot there in Summer and close to freezing in the Winter, such as the weather there being similar to the Alentejo?  I realize there are many micro-climates throughout the country. We also want to be centrally located near train & bus routes, but not too far from a mild coastline to enjoy a day at the beach. We don't want to feel "rushed" into purchasing an auto, but I admit it is hard for me to imagine not having one.

Maybe Santarem is to be considered? We wish we could be there for the upcoming Gastronomy Fair!  I always appreciate your responses...Obrigado.  Allison

Ask our Expat Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

@alleycat Yes, we're in Santarém, and it is known for having notably higher or lower temperatures on national weather forecasts. Santarém, the city, sits on a cliff over the river, so is quite exposed - and in summer, temperatures can reach the low 40s; but sub-zero is rare, even at night. We've been there for three winters, and scraped the windscreen once only. The district (and parts of the city) benefit from a regular breeze, which freshens summer evenings, and takes the damp edge off in winter. But this does depend on the specific location - a shady, treed side of a hill may be cooler in summer, but damp and chilly in winter, for instance. I know this is kind of obvious - but consider sun and shade, and exposure to breeze, when buying, if at all possible.

The region is, for us, an excellent balance. Close to Lisbon, great transport links (including to the South, bypassing Lisbon, by road), a wide variety of landscapes and sizes of town, a decent, genuine sense of place and tradition... but it's often overlooked for not being on the coast, in the mountains, or with the Alentejan landscapes people associate with much of Portugal. Naturally, I'm slightly biased - and I love many other parts of the country - but for us, it has everything we need, and little we dislike.

Thomas

Premium Member
(@alleycat)

@thomasribatejo Thank you Thomas, I admire your eloquence.  For now, we must do our best diligence of finding our first abode via a virtual method...unable to walk through and around, "feel" the breezes, smell the air or taste any of the local restaurants offerings. With luck, we'll land in a place that will comfortably suffice for our first year. We truly wish the D7 requirement was a bit more flexible on the proof of accommodation, currently asking for an entire year's lease.  A small detached house with a yard or terrace would be ideal...close to, or in town. We'll explore Santarem & area more closely. Do you suppose most of Santarem's rental housing would be apartment buildings, or might we find a modest house?

Wish us luck.

Ask our Expat Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

@alleycat yes, Santarém itself generally has more rental apartments than houses, particularly in suitable condition. Some do have a large terrace, typically if ground floor (and it's a safe city, so little to worry about there).

However, if you do prefer a house, you may be better at looking up/down the train lines a bit (noting the preference for public transport); for example, places like Abrantes, Tramagal, Vila Nova da Barquinha, and smaller places may offer more for you, at least for the initial period, in terms of space and value. Entroncamento is a popular place for rentals for people working in Lisbon, but I wouldn't recommend it (other than if you're into trains, or looking for a more urban experience).

Sorry this is brief. Feel free to drop me a line if you want to talk specifics at some point! 

Thomas

Premium Member
(@alleycat)

@thomasribatejo Thank you Thomas, helpful & nice to have these chats with you.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal