Anybody want seville oranges? – Gardening & Smallholding – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Anybody want seville oranges?

Page 1 / 3

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@nickallport)
Honorable Member

My wife made 38 jars of marmalade yesterday and we've not even dented the tree!

We're between Santarem & Cartaxo, so if you're local-ish and would like to come and collect some PM me.

Thanks, Nick

13 Replies

VIP Member
(@victoria1st)
Noble Member

:D I hope you get lots of visitors to assist you in eating that jam, Nick, perhaps serving them a nice jam tart!

I could not cope with seeing all the fruit going to waste which is why we bought a house in the middle of the orchards but they don't belong to us but we have the benefit of enjoying them (both the view, scent and taste). The orchards around us are worked professionally so there is no problem (I think they are the Encore variety plus Tangerina) but we have noticed recently unworked orchards are just littered with oranges on the ground. I know they say it's good for them to go back into the earth ... but it's such a waste.

Enjoy and I hope you find some takers of your generous offer.

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@nickallport)
Honorable Member

The offer is for the oranges not the marmalade! I'd be dead meat...

But yeah I don't like to see them go to waste. We have regular oranges, mandarins, tangerines and more lemons than we know what to do with, but so does everyone else around here.

The seville oranges are special though, especially if you like your marmalade! 8)

VIP Member
(@joe-k)
Noble Member

Hi Nick - I get my oranges for marmalde from the trees in the village I live near , there very bitter & the decorative type tree & has may been written the locals put no value on the fruit ?
As the ground under them is now coverd with rotting oranges.

VIP Member
(@victoria1st)
Noble Member

Nick, I didn't mean that you give your marmalade away .. I meant I hope you have visitors (friends/family) who will assist you in eating it, on toast or in tarts.

My sister makes at least that much in jam each year, if not more, in Germany with her red fleshed peaches (I have seeds if you want some, they are rare). But she and her hubby eat a jar of jam a week .. me and t'other half would eat a jar a year as we are not jam people and I like lemon and ginger and t'other half lime.

Page 1 / 3

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online