Borehole Costs - Page 2 – Gardening & Smallholding – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Borehole Costs

Page 2 / 2

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@graham-o)
Eminent Member

Hello,
We are finally in a position to start serious planning for a relocation to Central Portugal. We are very interested in one house which would be very nice for us and has enough land for me to start growing fruit and veg again. I'm not looking at vast areas, but probably 200 sq.m. or so of kitchen garden, plus fruit trees. The only drawback is that the house does not have a borehole or source of water other than the tap. Does anyone know the cost of a borehole please? Obviously it will depend on the depth needed, and presumably the nature of the soil/subsoil/rock etc, but a general idea would be appreciated; is it 500, 5000 or 15000 Euros. The location is north of Vila Nova de Poiares.
Alternatively, if a borehole isn't feasible, how much is water from the tap please?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Graham

8 Replies

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@graham-o)
Eminent Member

Richard,
I was just looking at the pricing information from the Camara but having trouble understanding it. The Portuguese is okay, but what does the "less than 2.5", "2.5 to 10" etc refer to please? And Quadro 1 and 2 refer to fixed and variable costs. Are both of these payable in addition to the cost per m3?
I'm anticipating being confused when we finally get there, but this is before we've even left the UK.

Thanks
G

VIP Member
(@richardhenshall)
Noble Member

The "less than 2.5", "2.5 to 10" will typically refer to your monthly water consumption in cubic metres. It seems that in your area you pay a single 'fixed' charge based on your position on the consumption scale (Quadro I) plus 0,66€ per cu. mtr for the first 5, plus 0,84€ per cu. mtr for the next 10 cu. mtrs and so on (Quadro II). You will also pay for sewage disposal on a similar basis, based on your water consumption, if on mains drains (Quadro III & IV). Emptying a cesspit may just be a single charge (Quadro VI).

It's different in my area, where we also pay for domestic refuse collection based on water consumption.

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@graham-o)
Eminent Member

Thank you Richard, that all makes sense. Obviously the situation varies a lot with MrBife referring to 1Euro per m3. I'll have to try and work out how much water we would use and how much the garden would take. Or, as suggested above, fruit and veg are cheap!

VIP Member
(@richardhenshall)
Noble Member

Each Câmara has its own way of charging for water and other services. We pay between 2,10€ and 2,60€ per cu. mtr average in the 5 - 25 cu mtr bands (including fixed & variable costs) but above that it costs around 5,35€ per cu. mtr for each additional unit.

Page 2 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online