Fruit trees and grape vines – Gardening & Smallholding – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Fruit trees and grape vines

Community Member
Topic starter
(@elliemay)

Hi,

We have bought a piece of land just outside Castelo branco and we are looking for a shop or a online shop with a large selection, where we can buy fruit trees and grape vines. Any recomendations? Preferably from an organic grower. 

6 Replies

Ask our Expat Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)
Estimable Member

A good place to start is probably your local Agriloja (that's a chain, and also often used as the generic name for that kind of shop), or a nearby weekly market. You could also try speaking to neighbours to find out where they get theirs.

Bear in mind that, for almost anything, you're probably too late for this year - you may find it best to get organised for the November to February period. Naturally, there are exceptions, but the direct sunlight, heat and dryness will not help things take now.

2 Replies
Community Member
(@elliemay)

@thomasribatejo Thank you so much for your answer! I'm glad you said to wait to plant until autumn as I was getting super excited about buying frees, which would not have been a success if planted now. But this will give me more time to plan and find what I need. 

Much appreciated!

Kind regards Ellenmaeve

Ask our Expat Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

Estimable Member

@elliemay no worries, I'm no expert gardener, but I have learned much through trial and error (and more recently, talking to locals).  As Louise has added, as part of your thinking, bear in mind watering (needs, and how to) - we didn't, and have some fruit trees some way distant from any water source, which we curse daily in summer!  

As a general rule, the Agrilojas and markets carry things at the right sort of time to be planted - don't be fooled by the DIY type places, which have poor fruit tree whips much of the year.  The advice at Agrilojas can also be very good - I'd never planted vines before, and they helped me select the best things, and told me how much (or in fact, little) to water them.

Good luck!  Growing things here is a joy (if tiring!)

Community Member
(@comfortapaul)
Trusted Member

Hi EllieMay,

I totally agree with Thomas. Although you will find fruit trees and vines in a lot of the local agricultural shops (less so the markets at this time of year) it is the wrong time to successfully plant new saplings/vines in the Castelo Branco district. The high temperatures, full sun and need for water would make it tough going.

I would recommend November/December for fruit trees and February for vines.

What you can be doing now is starting to prepare the planting sites - chose the locations to plant, mark planting distances, add well rotted/organic compost to deep planting holes, consider what irrigation you may need (if any). Also think about how you will maintain the land around the trees post-planting.

Fyi, Good Morning Portugal have a Happy Homesteaders fb page and a you tube channel where they host a live Happy Homesteaders/Get Out & Grow show on the 2nd, 3rd & 4th Monday of the month at 6:15pm.  Head Gardener, Lee McGrady, is very knowledgable.

Hope this assists,

Louise.

1 Reply
Community Member
(@elliemay)

@comfortapaul Thank you so much for all the info! I'm actually a organic and landscape gardener but coming from Sweden and Ireland where it's adviced to plant in autumn we still get away with it at this time of year due to the climate, although not optimal.

But growing in a climate like Portugal is a totally new ballgame for me! I suppose I was getting super excited about our new plot, but this advice will give me time to plan and really choose right what I want.

So I really appreciate all the advice I can get!

Kind regards, Ellenmaeve

Community Member
Topic starter
(@elliemay)

Thank you! xx

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online