problems with growing sweet potatoes – Gardening & Smallholding – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

problems with growing sweet potatoes

Page 1 / 2

Community Member
Topic starter
(@topmast)
Noble Member

After a lot of hard work - growing slips in water and planting them and nurturing them all summer - I started digging my sweet spuds today.

The tops have grown well and there was nothing to indicate there was a problem. However, of the 14 or so plants that grew, I have got just a handful of useable sweet potatoes. The rest have gone completely rotten and some are as big as a pineapple!!

Did I leave them too long in the ground? Has anyone else had this problem? :(

5 Replies

VIP Member
(@joe-k)
Noble Member

I feel you did
They lifted the last off them in my area about 6/7 weeks ago, some lifted earlier .

VIP Member
(@the-arborist)
Honorable Member

Last week of October is the norm around here.

steve

Community Member
Topic starter
(@topmast)
Noble Member

Thanks for those answers. I'll know better next year. :(
I was under the impression that you had to wait till the tops died down. Obviously not!

Cheers! Feliz Natal todos.

VIP Member
(@x-camone)
Noble Member

I dug up a healthy and good-sized crop about 10 days ago. Other than those I cut while lifting there's no problem with the rest. I was surprised they were so good as I'd neglected them a bit and barely watered them at all (but we did get more rain than usual over the summer).

I read that they need 5 months of growth, so I delayed lifting as they'd not been planted out until June (like you I had problems getting the seed potatoes sprouting). I think the main thing is to get them out before the first frosts - we've been frost-free so far up here.

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our exclusive 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ video content
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support from Expats Portugal team
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online