A straw poll. – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

A straw poll.

38 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
27.4 K Views
VIP Member
Topic starter
(@old-bloke)

Every year I receive a form from my private pension administrator asking me to prove I'm still alive with the threat that if I don't return the form duly signed by an independent witness "promptly" my pension will be suspended. This year I received one in April and another one last week (which annoyed me somewhat). They have apologised for sending me the second one this year which was a mistake and explained that these forms are part of the UK National Fraud Initiative.
Now I don't have a problem with any measures undertaken to prevent fraudulent drains on the UK National purse but, with the exception of one person who has had 2 in 12 years, no-one else I have spoken to so far out here has ever had one of these forms.
(The form I receive is such that it's a waste of time if they wanted to stamp out fraud, but that a long story).
What I'm trying to establish amongst the UK pensioners out here before I delve further with my pension administrator is a rough idea of the number of UK pensioners (State, Local Gvt, Military) who get these forms and at what frequency.
I accept that the information I'm trying to establish is of a private nature but I would really appreciate any feedback, by PM if preferred, regarding this. I don't want, nor need, to know anyone's names, addresses or ages and any responses would remain anonymous
If you are willing to assist me I only need to know if you've ever had such a form, and at what frequency, and whether it relates to a State, Local Gvt, Military or private pension.
Many thanks

37 Replies
VIP Member
(@peterfc)

Hi OB

Good to see you are still alive.

Peter

VIP Member
(@fleurishi)

In 2012 I took early retirement (private pension). I was only in the pension scheme of that particular UK company for one year but as it pays the mortgage I went for it (early). In 2013 I was asked to fill in and return one of those declarations. I know people (albeit Dutch and Belgian) who have to fill in a declaration every year so when I didn't get one in 2014 I phoned up the pension people in case they had sent me a form and it had gone missing. I was told I didn't have to do one every year and that there wasn't a fixed time span for these things. Last year I got another one so three years later. Am not quite sure how this stops fraud as you can ask any Tom, Dick or Harry (or Joao, Manuel, Pedro) to act as a witness.

I can't tell you about state pensions as I am way to young for that (well, they do keep moving the goal post so probably won't be entitled to it till I am 80).

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@old-bloke)

Am not quite sure how this stops fraud as you can ask any Tom, Dick or Harry (or Joao, Manuel, Pedro) to act as a witness.

As you say, it doesn't stop fraud. I've enquired with the people who have witnessed my forms and not one of them has ever been contacted for verification. I'm almost tempted to fly to Florida next year and get Mr M. Mouse from Disneyworld to be my witness.
My big concern with their reliance on these forms, which have no option for anyone to complete on my behalf, is if I'm incapacitated (e.g. stroke) is that they will suspend my pension and causing Mrs OB additional worry.
Similarly this practice effectively prevents me from taking Mrs OB on a 6 month world cruise if it meant we would be away when the form arrived at home as we wouldn't be able to return it "promptly".
It is something that could affect anyone who receives one of these forms hence why I'm trying to establish how widespread they are before I start fighting for changes in procedures that won't cause next of kin extra aggravation and worry, or hinder my choices as to where and when we go anywhere for a lengthy period of time.

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@old-bloke)

Hi OB

Good to see you are still alive.

Peter

And I've got a form signed by a witness to prove it!

Page 1 / 8

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal