A straw poll. - Page 8 – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx

A straw poll.

Page 8 / 8

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

Every year I receive a form from my private pension administrator asking me to prove I'm still alive with the threat that if I don't return the form duly signed by an independent witness "promptly" my pension will be suspended. This year I received one in April and another one last week (which annoyed me somewhat). They have apologised for sending me the second one this year which was a mistake and explained that these forms are part of the UK National Fraud Initiative.
Now I don't have a problem with any measures undertaken to prevent fraudulent drains on the UK National purse but, with the exception of one person who has had 2 in 12 years, no-one else I have spoken to so far out here has ever had one of these forms.
(The form I receive is such that it's a waste of time if they wanted to stamp out fraud, but that a long story).
What I'm trying to establish amongst the UK pensioners out here before I delve further with my pension administrator is a rough idea of the number of UK pensioners (State, Local Gvt, Military) who get these forms and at what frequency.
I accept that the information I'm trying to establish is of a private nature but I would really appreciate any feedback, by PM if preferred, regarding this. I don't want, nor need, to know anyone's names, addresses or ages and any responses would remain anonymous
If you are willing to assist me I only need to know if you've ever had such a form, and at what frequency, and whether it relates to a State, Local Gvt, Military or private pension.
Many thanks

37 Replies

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

What you're all forgetting is that it's all about the numbers - statistics and probability. They're looking for dead people, not fraudsters, and IMHO they're more likely to find the former.

True, but because they are relying solely on the vagaries of the postal system of each Country, they seem to be suspending the pensions of more people who are still living than those who are actually deceased.
The DWP say they don't keep a tally of the number of dead pensioners (State pension) this system has identified but there are loads of posts on expat forums throughout the world where living people are reporting losing their pension and the difficulty in getting it re-instated. (Obviously dead pensioners can't use forums).
Granted a lot of those who had their suspension suspended hadn't notified DWP that they had changed their address so never received the form. Something expats need to ensure they do if ever they move house.

VIP Member
(@global-nomad)
Estimable Member

Did Emmeline Pankhurst shrink from her cause for fear of breaking the law? How about the Manchester Martyrs? Nelson Mandela? Did Ali choose jail time over war as a matter of principle? This is clearly a very emotive issue for you and I would expect therefore that you would be willing to be detained at Her Majesty's pleasure rather than renege on your principles.

At the end of the day, if you believe you have a just cause then do something about it. At the very least, refuse to follow instructions, forge a signature and laugh to yourself when nothing happens. Otherwise it's all so much hot air...the complaining voice in the wilderness. Strike a blow for pensioners everywhere! In years to come there may be a statue in your honour in one of the great squares of Expatia! Imagine yourself in bronze, with a pigeon perched on your head and a Japanese tourist posing for a snapshot in your lap. If that isn't compelling motivation I don't know what is.....

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

Did Emmeline Pankhurst shrink from her cause for fear of breaking the law? How about the Manchester Martyrs? Nelson Mandela? Did Ali choose jail time over war as a matter of principle? This is clearly a very emotive issue for you and I would expect therefore that you would be willing to be detained at Her Majesty's pleasure rather than renege on your principles.

At the end of the day, if you believe you have a just cause then do something about it. At the very least, refuse to follow instructions, forge a signature and laugh to yourself when nothing happens. Otherwise it's all so much hot air...the complaining voice in the wilderness. Strike a blow for pensioners everywhere! In years to come there may be a statue in your honour in one of the great squares of Expatia! Imagine yourself in bronze, with a pigeon perched on your head and a Japanese tourist posing for a snapshot in your lap. If that isn't compelling motivation I don't know what is.....

Your right, I'd forgotten the consequences (and stress) of fighting for what's right. As the problems seem to be mainly with the State pension it doesn't actually affect me at the moment.

Page 8 / 8

• EI Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€37 / €347 Month / Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€17 / €97 Month / Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online