American Road Trip – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Martinhall banner
  • Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

American Road Trip

Page 1 / 2

Admin
Topic starter
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

It's time to turn the tables and ask advice from our American friends.

Planning to do a road trip as part of an American holiday next year. Starting and ending in Vegas, would like to do a 4 to 5 day trip to include visits to Lake Mead, Grand Canyon National Park and as many other historical/scenic locations as is possible. 

Would really appreciate any recommendations on a route and places to stay or pointers towards the right website to find this information. There are a lot of websites selling tours but I would love to hear from members who have actually done this trip themselves.

Thank you in anticipation 😀 

9 Replies

Premium Member
(@emergentt)
Eminent Member

Of course. Happy to help. What time of year are you going? 4-5 days isn’t much as the distances are pretty big. We’ve been in the Bay Area for 30 years (until we move soon to Portugal) and have met many tourists who do the Vegas-LA-SF-Yosemite-Vegas loop but it takes them 7-10 days as the travel times are big. 4 hrs to LA, 5-6 to SF, 4 to Yosemite, Tahoe is another 3. Then 8hrs back to Vegas.

Campervan or driving and hotels?

mosty natural wonders or cities as well?

feel free to message as well if you’d like.

gene 

1 Reply
Admin
(@gerry)

Honorable Member

@emergentt

Wow, that was fast, thank you so much Gene.

Not so interested in LA and SF and definitely car and hotels. Last time I camped, I was a boy scout 😊 Can add more time as necessary, still in the planning stage. Will send you an email. Thanks again, Gerry

Premium Member
(@antifiat)
Eminent Member

@Gerry  Starting from Vegas will open up so many opportunities.  You will be only a couple of hours away from visiting Utah's "Mighty Five" (five national parks). 

You can continue north out of Utah into parts of Idaho, Wyoming and Montana.  Grand Teton and Yellowstone national parks are connected and easily within reach. 

We Live in Utah (Salt Lake) so yes there is a little bias towards its beauty.  However, I grew up in southeastern Idaho with Yellowstone and Grand Teton parks only a short drive  away.

Utah's Mighty Five

Even if you only visit Utah, you will experience unforgettable scenery and great people. 

I'll leave it at that or my list of recommendations could go on and on.

See you in Portugal in about two months!

Jay & Diane

2 Replies
 MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)

Estimable Member

@antifiat I agree with Jay. Lots of natural wonders to see in Utah. We had a great time in the Moab area. I have a friend who runs a tourist shop there. However it gets pretty cold in the winter. My friend always takes a few months off and heads south.

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)

Estimable Member

@antifiat You're not kidding.  The parks in Utah are unbelievable.

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)
Estimable Member

Might I suggest a trip by Train?  Konni and I did the Amtrak tour through Utah to Colorado and ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ it.  The trains are not as nice as what you are used to, but the scenery still can't be beat.  You also get a great chance to meet so many different types of people and the atmosphere is just so chill.  You can rent roomettes for some privacy and place to sleep or full-on private rooms.

Pre-covid, Konni and I would take train trips once a year and once we're in Portugal, when we fly back to visit her family will probably continue to.  You meet so many cool people.

The tour we took to Grand Arches even included a private tour guide to drive you around in a Cadillac to the different parks.  It was amazing.

P.S. if you are booster-eligible, I'd recommend getting one.  Good chance you'll be in areas where people think Covid is a hoax and you'll be shocked as compared to Portugal and Europe at the total disregard for safety procedures.  Just throwing that out there in case Covid is an extra concern for you.

Premium Member
(@jgibson)
Estimable Member

Fun place to visit lots of movies, tv shows  and videos filmed here.

I have 3 acres attached to this location with old military aircraft in desert storage. If you decide to go message me and I will let owners know to expect you, they are great people

Page 1 / 2

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online