B&B or AirB'n'B – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Martinhall banner
  • Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

B&B or AirB'n'B

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@tygger)
Estimable Member

Do B&B's exist on the Algarve, I'm going to be visiting on a monthly basis when our house build starts and am not allowed to stay in a 5* hotel, as my wife says that I'm not going to be on holiday!

Ideally I would like to be in the vicinity of Pera, I have found some AirBnB, but would prefer something more like the B&B's that we have here in England, my visits will be 4 to 5 days.

4 Replies

Admin
(@thomasribatejo)
Reputable Member

If you're not keen on AirBnB, then perhaps have a look on Booking.com, which has a good range of lower priced accommodation. UK style BnBs are less common than things called pensão, residencial or quartos. Of course, there may also be hostels with private rooms.

You could also use the Hotel function on Google Maps to see what else is there, and contact directly (an email address or website is often lower down in the Google Maps inform for places). In the Algarve, I'd expect most places to be able to communicate in English.

Bear in mind that a lot of accommodation is not currently taking bookings due to the COVID situation, so this may account for apparent lack of choice or availability. Places showing as unavailable on Booking etc may be open to a longer-than-a-couple-of-nights booking if approached directly.

3 Replies
Premium Member
(@tygger)

Estimable Member

@thomasandmatthew many thanks for your reply, it's not that I'm against Aitbnb, although I do have concerns about their model and it's harmful effects on local infrastructure.

I think staying someone's home will be more interesting and perhaps better for the local economy.

The earliest that my visits will start is probably September.

Admin
(@thomasribatejo)

Reputable Member

@tygger you don't easily find rentals in homes as the law requires licensing for short term rental, which means registering it as a business, which means costs that people with a room might not want to be in for. This is enforced, so platforms don't (shouldn't) take unlicensed listings. If you stay somewhere initially, you may subsequently find someone who can put you up on an informal basis, perhaps.

Premium Member
(@tygger)

Estimable Member

@thomasandmatthew thanks i'll try your Google maps suggestion

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online