Best Portuguese bank, booze and blowers (and coffee) - Good Morning Portugal survey! Got 5 minutes? – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

Best Portuguese bank, booze and blowers (and coffee) - Good Morning Portugal survey! Got 5 minutes?

Page 1 / 2

Admin
Topic starter
(@carlm)
Reputable Member

Blower is a UK cockney slang word for phone. Thought it best to clarify after the 'hooters' conversation on this morning's show

Please help us find out what are the most popular banks, phone companies, beers, wines and coffees in Portugal (and other categories), in YOUR experience, in our morning show 'Expats Choice' survey here: www.expatschoiceportugal.com

We will look at the results on next Tuesday's brekkie show, starting at the new time of 8.30am

19 Replies

Community Member
(@casamaria)

Oops! It's a coincidence I swear...I too just posted a question asking about Portuguese banks. (perhaps best not to use the term "bankers")

I think that it is far more likely that you will get more responses following the show, so I am more than happy to follow the progress of your post. (lots I hope!)

Iggy
Premium Member
(@iggy)

Hi,

Don't think the coffee is the issue..

Just got delivery of Delta Q (official) to NL , tastes good. But still prefer a real espresso as in McDonalds Lisbon :<)

Yep. female barrista and all, of course after a good bifana.

Question about Salame da Chocolate.

Love the stuff and is even  sold in Auchan mini in Lisbon.

Any good adresses in Faro for even better chocolate sausage ?

Will be there in 3 weeks, have to take some home before St. Niklaas :<) 

Iggy 

3 Replies
Community Member
(@antonio_f)

Trusted Member

@iggy You can get Salame de Chocolate in any supermaket, already sliced, for some €2/€2,5 (about 0,5 kg). Must be kept cool/cold, or it will get soft and melt.

Admin
(@carlm)

Reputable Member

@antoniopedia strikes again!

Iggy
Premium Member
(@iggy)

@antonio_f 

Thxs!

BTW

Very good recipe to make with kids, of course at least half of it will go down their throats :<)

https://www.teleculinaria.pt/receitas/doces-e-sobremesas/salame-de-chocolate-2/

But I''m lazy :<)

Iggy is short for Ignace, nickname. Parents (father dutch) divided between Austrian grandparents and sentiment towards too german names after another war... not Ignaz  turn to the french version...

So Ignace, nickname Iggy. Sister Ludmilla is called Milly.

Yep, Austria was once an Empire, UK still thinks it is :<)

Regards  Iggy

GT1
Premium Member
(@dipstick)

Avryl & I were just discussing this issue and how disappointed we were with our Portuguese bank (lack of service / response) and will certainly contribute our 'two pennorth' tomorrow!

Bankers and rhyming cockney slang come to mind.........................

We should be arriving in Portugal mid November (all being well) and would be interested in the group's views on TV, Internet and phone comapnies (fixed landline & cell phone) packages. Clive

2 Replies
Community Member
(@nick4rv)

@dipstick would you mind to state which bank you were disappointed? I will be looking to select a bank next month. Could be helpful to know which one(s) to avoid and which one has good reputation!

Community Member
(@casamaria)

@dipstick Hi, I too would be very interested to know which bank you refer too. I am over after the weekend and looking to open a bank account on Monday morning. It would be helpful to know which one has disappointed you.

GT1
Premium Member
(@dipstick)

Our bank account at Millennium BCP was set up for us (complete with NIF numbers) by an immigration agent about a year ago as we were (and are still) in Durban and transferring money into the bank was relatively easy and we had an English speaking contact. We are now in the final stages of purchasing a home in Portugal and have had to make an initial deposit followed by the balance at completion. In order to make this a smooth transaction and since the bank has a limit on what I can transfer via the website, I couriered documents back to the branch to allow them to action my instructions remotely. So far so good..... When I tried to make this transfer, I found my contact was unavailable and other staff members not very helpful and I therefore had to ring the 24hr 'contact centre' where I found that I could only transfer Euro 50,000. After about 90 minutes on the phone this finally achieved. In the last couple of weeks, I have written to my branch contact to try and set up a single payment but despite re-sending my mail, I have still not received a reply. I have telephoned a direct number for my contact - but the phone is not answered. The main branch phone has a recorded message that roughly translates as 'ring the 24hr contact centre or hold for assistance'.................which I did, but I still got no answer, so gave up! So despite the correct documents being in the branch to make a single transfer, I have had to call the 24/7 Portuguese phone number 4 times, going through all the security questions each time and still only being allowed to move 50K each time. A friend of ours has suggested Santander as an alternative and our solicitor has recommended Novo Banco or Montepio. Needless to say when we arrive (which should be shortly) I will be making alternative banking arrangements. Sorry this is such a long reply - hope you are still awake 🙂  ha ha ha

7 Replies
Community Member
(@casamaria)

@dipstick Don't apologise, this was exactly what I was hoping for. It is very helpful in both whom to avoid and approach. Recommendations from your legal rep are definitely worth having. Thank you and good luck with your move.

Community Member
(@derrymore)

@casamaria

I joined Activo Bank, part of Millennium Bank and the only problem I've had with them is they charge up to 5% when you make a payment into a non-EU currency such as US dollar or sterling.  I haven't tested it on non-Euro EU currencies such as Polish Złoty or Hungarian Forint.

Activo doesn't charge anything for routine transactions such as direct debits, standing orders or using the ATM. It's a bit clunky joining up, especially if you're not very internet-savvy or have an unreliable wifi signal. 

I understand CTT, the Portuguese post office, offers free routine banking. CTT requires you present yourself at your nearest main post office, which may not be the one on your main street. 

If you do much business in major non-EU currencies, consider opening an internet bank account such as N26 or Revolut. Both offer completely free routine banking with no transaction fee for most leading non-EU currencies. 

If you need use the ATM to get cash, you'll be charged a one off €10 and the card will be posted to your place. The ATM card works in any Portuguese ATM marked "MB", which is most of them.  By the way, if you don't like the pin you're allocated for the ATM card, you may find changing it to something you remember, could be a little tedious. 

Good luck!

Community Member
(@nick4rv)

@derrymore @dipstick Thanks a lot for your inputs! That helps a lot to get a feeling about banking in Portugal. Any experiences of transferring higher amounts with Activo? Is the 50k€ limit at Millenium linked to the fact of being outside the EU?

GT1
Premium Member
(@dipstick)

@nick4rv 

My understanding is that the 50K limit always applies to internet transactions - the only way around that is to present yourself in the bank OR what I was advised to do ie set up the facility to do higher transfers when not in the bank but then failed to achieve due to lack of assistance from the bank. By the way, this was Portuguese domestic transfer from a Euro account to another Portuguese Euro account.

Community Member
(@derrymore)

@dipstick @nick4rv.

Fortunately I'm Irish so most of the stuff regarding sterling and US dollars doesn't apply to me. If your bank surcharges you for making large international transfers, find out the largest amount they will send without surcharge and repeat the process over a few days. 

You should shop around to get the best price for this transaction. Consider Portugal Expats offering, but look up Google as well. Always, always, always get through to a human and see what you can shave off the cost.

It would be strongly recommended that you advise both the sending and receiving banks what you are doing, if you don't normally send large sums of money. That way you'll avoid attracting the attention of the fraud people at the banks.

Community Member
(@nick4rv)

@derrymore @dipstick  That clarifies the situation! Very valuable and detailed information that I hope others of the community might benefit from as well!

Community Member
(@casamaria)

@derrymore What a fabulous response! Thanks very much indeed. Lots of very useful information. Going to be doing lots of googling tonight. Hopefully Activo will prove fruitful.

Page 1 / 2

• EI Banner
  • Serenity Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Sovereign Group Leaderboard

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online