Bringing your entire household belongings to Portugal Post Brexit. Worth It ? – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Bringing your entire household belongings to Portugal Post Brexit. Worth It ?

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@brooks63)

If any of you are doing this right now, you know exactly what I am talking about. For those that may not know and who are considering it, bringing all of your household belongings (regular three bed UK semi for example) to Portugal after Brexit is quite a task and expensive to say the least. 

We have recently realized that even when you get your 4 mth Residency Visa (Not the Permit), you have to wait until you get your Permit before you can start to apply to have all your "stuff" sent over from the UK. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong with this, but that's how we have read the section posted on the Portuguese Consulate website and a document from our UK removal company. Its because you need to supply your address and a copy of your Residency Permit and you can only get that after your interview with SEF. So in the interim, your belongings will be held by your removal company in blighty.

So if you are buying a house, like we are, don't expect to have your stuff delivered to you for many months and certainly not anytime prior to your SEF meeting for your Residence Permit. 

Our own example is that we should be moving into our new home around the end of August but will not be able to apply for our belongings to be sent over until after our SEF meeting in November. Only then it seems, can the application be sent to the Portuguese Consulate in London. Who knows how long that will take to process and then result in us receiving our stuff. Could be well into next year !

Perhaps many of you knew this already but we didn't and couldn't find any information out there about it, so this may give you some help to make up your own mind on whether its worth bringing it all over in the first place. We had done a fair bit of research before hand and thought that we knew the score but I think that you'll find that the costs will just keep going month on month. All you pre brexitiers have had it too good, haha.

On a positive note, we love it here at the moment and other stuff is going well tbf, and wouldn't change it.

If anyone knows info to the contrary of that mentioned above please post and we can all move forward better informed. This is only what we have found out. Shortcuts are welcome but i'm not sure that's the Portuguese way. 😉 🙂

3 Replies

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

Your understanding is correct, a resident's visa does not make you a resident, you become resident when your resident's permit is issued.

You could import it earlier but you would be liable for import duty and IVA without the new resident's exemption.

The wait will be worth it in the end.

VIP Member
(@x-camone)
Noble Member

I agree that that now looks like the only way to do it. I'd been wondering for some time about how the sequence of moving must have been severely affected by the new circumstances and came across the Certificate of Baggage information a few weeks ago, which makes it pretty clear that you can't ship your stuff in advance or bring it in with you prior to having formalised residence.

It's certainly a lot more complicated now and you have my utmost sympathies. Moving house / country is quite enough upheaval on its own, even when you have a much freer hand, as citizens of member states do. It was enough to make me swear I'd never move house again when we arrived years ago.

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@brooks63)

X-Camone, totally agree with that. If we had really known what was involved when we first started we probably would not have done it. Sounds a bit defeatist but its a good job we didn't know the full story I think. And to do it all in a pandemic...we must have been a bit mad.

Its become a bit of a daily challenge to get through it all to be honest. Perhaps i'm making more of it than it is, but we are reasonably intelligent people and some of the processes along the way have stretched us at times. I think its to do with the lack of clear definitive information available out there. You're having to work it out with scraps of conflicting info picked up here and there. OK you can get a company to guide you through some of it but you'll pay for it ! 

We're probably in the middle of the process right now and we are retired so we can devote a lot of time to it, but those of you who are coming with youngsters and or juggling with jobs I take my hat off to you all.

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online