Cars and Customs...help!!! – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Cars and Customs...help!!!

Community Member
Topic starter
(@frango)

Dear all,

My partner and I (he is from PT but has been a UK resident for the last 20 years? moved to PT in June.  We shipped our persona; stuff over without a hitch.  We decided to ship our cars (Bristol to Setubal) unaccompanied as we did  not fancy a long drive through Spain and PT and as I have a disability which makes driving long distances problematic.

Our cars have been stuck in Setubal for the last 6 weeks and it seems we are going to have to ship them back to the UK as we can not satisfy the requirements to get them released with paying the very high taxes.  There are so many time consuming hoops to go through on the PT side that will take many many months to satisfy.  Had wee driven the cars in to PT via Spain ourselves, it seems we could have done this and then had our cars to use in PT while we got the relevant papers.

So the cars will go back to the UK and then to Spain with us, and then from Spain to PT.  All a complete waste of time and energy (our energy and global energy) for no apparent benefit.

I wondered if anyone had similar experiences or words of advice?

And for those considering bringing their cars ti PT from the UK, it seems far preferable to drive them in via Spain and not ship them unaccompanied.

Kind regards,

James

Topic Tags
1 Reply
1 Reply
VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member
Posted by: @frango

Dear all,

Our cars have been stuck in Setubal for the last 6 weeks and it seems we are going to have to ship them back to the UK as we can not satisfy the requirements to get them released with paying the very high taxes.

Had wee driven the cars in to PT via Spain ourselves, it seems we could have done this and then had our cars to use in PT while we got the relevant papers.

Kind regards,

James

If you can't currently satisfy the requirements for ISV free import driving them in won't make any difference.

New resident ISV exemption.

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online