Central list of festivals? – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Central list of festivals?

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@emergentt)
Eminent Member

Hello expats Portugal community!

My wife and I are starting a two month grand adventure in September to immerse ourselves in 8 different towns for a week each. Pre-retirement? Escapism? Just love traveling? All of the above!

We are (also) from California and love food and wine. Is there a central list of food/ other festivals in different towns or would I look up each town council separately?

mid sept silver coast

late sept early oct Algarve

mid/late oct setubal/ cascais 

thanks in advance,

gene

Topic Tags
6 Replies

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

This is something I'd love to find... but I am not sure anyone has created a comprehensive, updated one (I imagine it would be a lot of work to maintain, even if created).

Major things tend to be promoted at tourist-regional level (the regional tourist boards do not all coincide with regions used for other purposes).  The nationally-recognised tourism regions are listed here: https://www.visitportugal.com/en/destinos
Click on the region, then on the next page, select Find Out More, for the official links.

However, many of the most interesting things don't quite hit the national/regional agendas, so yes, if you're spending time in a particular place, google something like "[placename] turismo eventos" - some municipalities have the info on their own sites, which are usually cm-[municipality].pt but others have a separate tourism and/or culture page.

There are many rather outdated sites mentioning annual events in particular places - unless you see 2021 attached, don't make plans without checking it's on this year (and this would be true even without COVID, as some events run for a year, or a few years, and peter out, especially if they are of relatively recent creation.

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@pamalcobaca)

It would be a great thing to have! I do know of a facebook group in Central Portugal that is meant to be for this, but not sure everything is posted there:

Other than that, local Facebook groups for the places you are visiting, and municipio websites (some are really good, others not so good though).

I'm on the Silver coast, but mid-September doesn't tend to be the most active time - if I come across anything, I'll post it here...

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@jeanne)

Estimable Member

@pamalcobaca    You mentioned a type of almanac publication a while back (forgot the name, sorry). Does that perhaps include this type of information?

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@emergentt)
Eminent Member

Thanks for the info. I was hoping there might be something centralized but yes it does seem much more like a regional/local event. 

really appreciate your time. 

gene

Community Member
(@curiousredhead)

Hi Gene,

This list has 2021 (and 2022) festival dates:

https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/portugal/festivals  

I'm starting my 1-month grand adventure in Portugal in October.

Cheers!

Gina

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@emergentt)

Eminent Member

@curiousredhead   
thanks very helpful! Best of luck on your grand adventure! Ours starts soon as well. Gene

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online