Christmas in Tavira, Faro? – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Serenity Banner
  • spartan Fx

Christmas in Tavira, Faro?

Topic starter
(@debnjon)

We will be in Tavira for Christmas, our first Christmas in Portugal.

Christmas is all about surprises however, any info ahead of time would be really helpful especially with regards to food shopping or, the likelihood of anywhere being open on Xmas day, boxing day to eat at, would be gratefully received!

Any 'must-dos' or words of wisdom would also be greatly appreciated.  

We arrive 13th December and will be leaving on the 28th December.  We will have a car. Many thanks in advance

Topic Tags
6 Replies

Community Member
(@sonia)
Trusted Member

On Christmas day almost everything is closed, the exception being hotels and some restaurants that have a special Christmas lunch. Usually stores start closing between 5 and 7 pm on the 24th, and If you can avoid shopping on the 24th, it is always crazy busy.

The 26th is also a bad day for shopping, it seems people can’t wait to exchange the gifts they didn’t like so all rush to the stores.

If you plan to have a Christmas meal on a restaurant don’t forget to do a reservation, it would give a you a taste of Christmas Portuguese food.

If you pass through Faro during your stay and want to have a coffee send me a pm.

1 Reply
(@debnjon)

@sonia thank you that’s really helpful, and meeting up for a coffee would be lovely. It’ll be our first Christmas in Portugal but not our last! We are exploring at the moment as to where we’d like to settle. This Saturday will find us in the North of the country!

Community Member
(@aspidistra)
Estimable Member

Hi Debbie

I like Christmas in Portugal because it is much more low key compared to the UK. In my experience, Christmas Eve is the most special meal in Portugal, where they eat, in the Algarve at least, bacalhau, the salted codfish, with several other dishes. So most people are at home with family for the eve.

Then Christmas Day food can sometimes be more of a buffet thing with all the family around and snacking. As, like in the UK, most people are at home for the day, we have tended to just go off somewhere nice for a walk for the day as not much is open.

Last year our Christmas lunch was sandwiches and a flask of coffee, sat outside the shut cafe at the top of the mountain at Foia, Monchique, with a couple of other people doing the same thing. 

Unlike in the UK people generally don’t seem to have much time off at Christmas, just home early Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and then back to work, whereas so many people take that whole week until New Year in the UK. So it's short and sweet.

1 Reply
(@debnjon)

@aspidistra thank you — as always you’re really helpful with your comments. Walking Christmas Day with sandwiches, a flask of coffee and wonderful views sounds perfect! It’ll be lovely to experience something different and great to have a better understanding of how things generally are.

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@cabanastavira)

I agree with @aspidistra. Traditionally Christmas Eve is the time to celebrate - particiularly a late meal in the evening. If going out you must book early.
Feliz Natal

1 Reply
(@debnjon)

@cabanastavira thank you — I think a meal out Christmas Eve would be the thing to do. Maybe we’d better  book as soon as we arrive there!

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Serenity Banner
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online