Cost of Living in Portugal – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Cost of Living in P...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Explorations Africa Banner Ad

Cost of Living in Portugal  

RSS

(@anahawkins)
Active Member Community Member
31/08/2020 3:21 pm  

Thank you! Happy to be here and learn more about moving to Portugal and living there. I am hoping some of the existing members can help us navigate the next few years as we plan our move. We are hoping to either continue working remote with 1 of our jobs or see if we have enough to "Retire" early. One of my big questions is to estimate how much it really costs to live in Algarve in a comfortable life style with a young daughter who we would like to enroll in an American/or Private school. And then my other question is how will her future job prospects be - do kids stay in Portugal or do we find that many of them go to school outside of Portugal and gets jobs elsewhere in Portugal? Want to make sure we save appropriately and budget for a home/travel/healthcare/etc and maybe even helping her with school. Thanks everyone!

(@gerry)
Reputable Member Admin
01/09/2020 6:54 pm  

Hello @anahawkins and welcome.

I have moved your post to give it more prominence. 

I don't have children in Portugal so I will leave your questions for another member to respond.

Kind regards

Gerry

ReplyQuote
(@anahawkins)
01/09/2020 6:55 pm  

@Gerry thank you!

ReplyQuote
(@astridff)
Active Member Admin
02/09/2020 1:32 pm  

Hi Ana,

Think I answered some of these questions on another post. As a mum of two girls (and married to a Portuguese guy), this is our opinion on schools for kids.

If you plan is to stay in Portugal permanently and have opportunities open for your kids in this country, they need to be able to speak Portuguese and perhaps putting them into a good Portuguese school may be better.

I have many friends with kids at International Schools and their Portuguese language skills aren't great. So to get a job in Portugal afterwards may be difficult.

However, we choose to send our girls to a good private Portuguese school and from grade 2, they learn English. My oldest daughter is about to start year 7 and she will also be learning French.

If their English is good enough, they can go to university anywhere across Europe and then return to Portugal to work or work abroad. If their Portuguese isn't good enough, returning to Portugal to work would be more complicated.

Finding work afterwards really depends on what they will be studying and wanting to do. The unemployment level for youth at the moment is quite high, but this isn't that different to Australia (where I am from) at the moment.

The biggest downside for me personally about sending our girls to a Portuguese school is that I am unable to help them with their homework or get involved with "parent" activities at the school as my language isn't good enough. To compensate, we get tutoring but the huge price difference between the International school system and private Portuguese can justify this.

I would recommend you take a look at this website too. You may find it helpful for the later educational years.

https://ec.europa.eu/education/education-in-the-eu/about-education-and-training-in-the-eu_en

AnaVieira liked
ReplyQuote
(@anahawkins)
02/09/2020 2:47 pm  

@astridff Thank you! I am Brazilian so I grew up speaking/learning Portuguese though a different Portuguese - so I would hope I could get back into it/learn and help my daughter being there. Thanks for the thoughts on jobs/work for youth and the comment about schools - very helpful. I am sure I will reach back out with more questions as we develop our plan 🙂 Thanks so much!

ReplyQuote
(@astridff)
Active Member Admin
04/09/2020 6:53 pm  

Not a problem. Looking forward to hearing about your progress.

ReplyQuote
(@astridff)
Active Member Admin
08/09/2020 4:19 pm  

Hi Ana,

Did you see we have this webinar coming up on Thursday?

https://expatsportugal.com/event/portugal-calling-usa-vs-portugal-lets-compare-the-cost-of-living/

May be of interest to you.

ReplyQuote
(@anahawkins)
08/09/2020 4:34 pm  

@astridff I signed up! Just hoping either myself or my husband can make it because I do work full time and currently have a meeting but trying to move it - do you guys record these & post later too? 

ReplyQuote
(@anahawkins)
15/09/2020 2:53 pm  

@astridff I attended! Do you think you guys would ever poll people there too that are retired vs. not retired to get some totals you could publish confidentially here too - summarizing some of the data that was shared in the call? Ex. % of expats here live on 3000K a month, or % expats that buy vs. rent, $ spent on food, $ spent going out, $ healthcare, $ pets, $ kids activities, etc? It might be something you could even do in like an online survey (in the US we have a free survey resource called survey monkey)?  One other topic discussed in the call was finding a local agent to help find rental or buy a place - do you guys have resources available if I wanted to contact someone to start looking in the Algarve region (a real estate agent for example you recommend?) Thanks so much for all your help!

ReplyQuote
(@gerry)
Reputable Member Admin
16/09/2020 1:51 pm  

Hello @anahawkins

Many thanks for your great suggestion on the survey. Definitely something we can consider and we'll build this into our schedule. We are extremely busy on developing other new features at present so this might take a little while. 😉 

Regarding your question about estate agents in Algarve, can you narrow down a little by indicating which area of Algarve (East or West of Faro) as this will help to give the right recommendation.

Regards

Gerry

ReplyQuote
(@anahawkins)
16/09/2020 4:01 pm  

@Gerry Thank you! I would offer up to start the survey for you all but I also don't know how that works - that said, if I can be of assistance in the future coming up with a list of questions/answers or starting something in survey monkey or other, happy to help. I am a director in marketing for 3M so very used to getting insights/customer feedback. 

We have a young kiddo who does not speak Portuguese though she is in a Spanish immersion school here in Texas. We were looking up schools online and saw Nobel Algarve seems to have good reviews though a little spendy in the upper years. For that reason, we'd ideally like to be close to whatever school she attends - hopefully that school is in a nice area? We would probably try to just have 1 car max so being close to school would be great. I just looked on the map and it seems that school is close to Portimao/Albufeira so very west of Faro. Thanks for your help!

ReplyQuote
(@gerry)
Reputable Member Admin
16/09/2020 5:57 pm  

@anahawkins, we would love to have your input on the Cost of Living survey you have suggested. We do use Survey Monkey so we have no issues on that front, but if you are interested to come up with a list of questions, that would be a great help. Any format such as a Word document or just an email is fine. If you don't already have them, I can send you or email addresses nearer the time. Thank you so much for this offer.

Regarding an estate agent for Portimao/Albuferia, we don't have any particular company to recommend at this time. Other members may be able to help but meanwhile, I suggest a good starting place is Rightmove - see this link:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property-for-sale/Algarve.html?propertyTypes=&mustHave=&dontShow=&currencyCode=USD&keywords=

Most Portuguese agents advertise with Rightmove and there are good search functions by area and even currencies including USD. If you click on a property of interest, you will be able to contact the local agent directly. 

I hope this is of help.

Best wishes

Gerry

ReplyQuote

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Receive exclusive member benefits from our partners: view current offers
      • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars
      • Join any Group within our Online Community
      • Include your local events in our events calendar
      • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €25 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online