Cryptocurrency (staking rewards) as passive income for D7 – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Cryptocurrency (staking rewards) as passive income for D7

9 Posts
7 Users
8 Likes
Community Member
Topic starter
(@watanabe)

Hello everyone,

Had some good fortune with a few investments and a side project that worked out. I'm now making ~1000 euros equivalent every 5 days in interest and I would like to use this to apply for a D7 visa. So far I have:

1. NIF
  2. millenium bcp bank account with a good chunk of euros in it
  3. health insurance
  4. 6 month flatio contract
  5. local police report

The missing piece is proof of passive income, which I'm a bit at a loss for how to prove. I can take screenshots of my crypto wallet, and there are some websites which track the rewards/interest I am receiving, however I am skeptical on whether or not Portuguese officials will accept screenshots of a random website (sample attached) as proof of income. My best idea so far is to take screenshots of all of the below for my application:

1. Summary of the monthly Crypto rewards received in September
  2. a transfer from my wallet, to an exchange
  3. a sale for the same amount of crypto for euros
  4. withdrawal of that euro amount to my millenium BCP account
  5. millenium BCP monthly statement showing the withdrawal in #4

Does that sound sufficient? Does anyone have similar experience or advice?

Thank you

Β 

Β 

8 Replies
Community Member
(@starrynytsky)

Hi Alexander,

You make a good point about how do you prove the income. Crypto Tips have a Youtube clip talking with their crypto lawyer, Maria Pescadhina. She seems to be the lawyer to contact!

I'm interested in your findings!

michele

Community Member
(@ryanfromzion)

Hi Alexander,

Fellow crypto enthusiast here πŸ™‚

I am also currently working toward my D7, however I am not using my crypto passive income as part of my application as i have read that it may be tough to prove (gov not versed in crypto...so i cant help with your question.

However, i am interested as to why you chose Flatio to secure a lease, as i am also considering that ootion and would like to chat with you...but ibdontvwant to hijack this thread, so please feel free to DM me.

Wish you the best in your application!

arin
Premium Member
(@arindam)

Hi Alexander,

Β 

I am also interested to know the outcome of your D7 visa application via this crypto passive income source. Did it work out for you ? I plan to use the similar route then.Β 

Β 

Thanks,

arin

Community Member
(@davidb)

Personally, I don't think there would be an issue to demonstrate income via the method outlined in the OP. One caveat would be that some track record would be required and I believe that would be a least 6 months of such transactions. Due to price volatility, the amount transferred should be well above the minimum thresholds set.

Please be aware that staking rewards could well turn out to be taxable in Portugal.Β  The law is not clear on this and some people (like the CryptoTips lawyer) take a very liberal view of what is tax free.Β  That position is by no means shared by all (or even most in my experience) other tax and legal professionals in Portugal. It is certainly not settled law and no guidance has been issued from the tax office on anything other than crypto capital gains.Β 

1 Reply
 arin
Premium Member
(@arindam)

@davidb Thank you very much for your reply. I have contacted Gilda and her team. Hoping to hear from her soon.

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your β€˜12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal