Digital certificate required for access to restaurants and hotels – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Serenity Banner
  • spartan Fx

Digital certificate required for access to restaurants and hotels

Page 1 / 3

Community Member
Topic starter
(@jgibson)
Reputable Member

Scheduled to be in Portugal in two weeks flying in from the USA to hopefully buy new home. 
Im reading that the state of calamity goes back into effect Dec 1st and that Digital certificate required for access to restaurants and hotels

I am booked at two Airbnb’s and one hotel. One of the Airbnb hosts messaged me that my Neg covid test paperwork will be fine the other not sure still no word from the hotel.

I can’t find any info on how a US Citizen can get a digital passport showing a Neg covid test.

can anyone one help with any information? Thank you 

27 Replies
5 Replies
Community Member
(@sonia)

Estimable Member
Posted by: @jgibson

I can’t find any info on how a US Citizen can get a digital passport showing a Neg covid test.

the digital certificate needed to access hotels and restaurants is the vaccination  certificate, but you will need a negative covid test to enter the Country

Community Member
(@christopher)

Will restaurants and hotels take a US vaccine card?

Community Member
(@sonia)

Estimable Member

@christopher 

I think so, if you read below some members say that they used their certificates a few months back.

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)

Estimable Member

@christopher They did when we were there in July.

Premium Member
(@antifiat)

Trusted Member

@sonia Yes, we arrived in Lisbon on Sunday.  Before we could fly out of the US on TAP airlines we had to show a negative test...regardless of a vaccination card.  We had to show it again in customs.  Be sure to have a current negative test.  Many passengers didn't get "the memo" at were turned away at the boarding gate. 😣

Zoom
(@zoom)

@jgibson When we visited this summer, we had stopped in Germany first and got their Covid pass by showing our CDC card and a stamped printout from our state health department showing our vaccination record (Germans love stamps - luckily the pharmacy that did them were happy to sign and stamp the printouts). Once in Portugal, the German/EU app that showed a QR code and "proof" was sufficient for the hotels. I wonder if a Portuguese pharmacy would do the same thing if you show the CDC card and a state health dept printout? Of course, it wouldn't be helpful when checking in initially, but may help later on. The CDC card just looks like a 12-yr old's class project - can't blame them for being skeptical - we were asked several times if that card was enough in the US.

Bert
Premium Member
(@bert)
Estimable Member

I visited Portugal this past summer just when these same type of rules were coming into effect, late July and August. For sure, covid test to get into the country and return to the US. While I was in Portugal I did have to show my vaccination record and negative covid test within ? 72 hours at the first hotel. Subsequent hotels were varied, the larger cities, Coimbra, Leiria and Lisbon they accepted my covid vaccination card only, another larger hotel did not and I had to get covid tested. You can get rapid tests (at least when I was there) for about 6 euro in the pharmacies and do the test in front of the hotel staff. Tchau.

Community Member
(@aspidistra)
Reputable Member

We have arrived and I asked the hotel we will be staying in on 1 Dec when rules change and they said no test needed but show your vaccine passport. So no test at the moment at hotels. 
I don’t know how it works to prove US vaccines. I guess you could email your hotel if you have it booked and ask what they accept as proof from the US? 

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@antifiat)

Trusted Member

@aspidistra We arrived last evening at the TRYP Coimbra hotel.  We were asked for the vaccine cards.  All we had was the CDC card showing the J&J single dose from back in May.  It seemed to be sufficient since we are now staying for 5 nights.

Help! Anyone know of a good 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment?  How about a good real estate agent to help us find something in Coimbra or the surrounding area?

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)
Estimable Member

Hey John,

Konni and I used our California digital certification when we were there in July. Maybe your state has something similar?

https://myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov/

I'm going to try to use that again when we are there at the end of the month.

6 Replies
Community Member
(@jgibson)

Reputable Member

@hank_2021 The hotel and the Airbnb’s got back to me and told me just the proof of negative test was all they needed

Premium Member
(@alleycat)

Trusted Member

@jgibson Happy Portugal Holidays guys!  Safe journey through PT.

Premium Member
(@emergentt)

Trusted Member

@jgibson during our 3 month trip sept-nov we were asked for our vaccination proof about 5 times. The card was always sufficient for restaurants and airbnbs. There was a post today about being refused at ikea but that seems like an outlier. We also have the California digital cert but never had to show it. Gene

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)

Estimable Member

@jgibson Hi John!

Did they need you to have the negative test within a certain time frame?

Premium Member
(@antifiat)

Trusted Member

@hank_2021 Good luck Hank!

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)

Estimable Member

@antifiat Thanks! Counting the days. Hopefully, Omicron doesn't screw things up.

Page 1 / 3

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • EI Banner
  • Serenity Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ course
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online