Digital certificate required for access to restaurants and hotels - Page 2 – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

Digital certificate required for access to restaurants and hotels

Page 2 / 3

Community Member
Topic starter
(@jgibson)
Reputable Member

Scheduled to be in Portugal in two weeks flying in from the USA to hopefully buy new home. 
Im reading that the state of calamity goes back into effect Dec 1st and that Digital certificate required for access to restaurants and hotels

I am booked at two Airbnb’s and one hotel. One of the Airbnb hosts messaged me that my Neg covid test paperwork will be fine the other not sure still no word from the hotel.

I can’t find any info on how a US Citizen can get a digital passport showing a Neg covid test.

can anyone one help with any information? Thank you 

27 Replies
5 Replies
Community Member
(@sonia)

Estimable Member
Posted by: @jgibson

I can’t find any info on how a US Citizen can get a digital passport showing a Neg covid test.

the digital certificate needed to access hotels and restaurants is the vaccination  certificate, but you will need a negative covid test to enter the Country

Community Member
(@christopher)

Will restaurants and hotels take a US vaccine card?

Community Member
(@sonia)

Estimable Member

@christopher 

I think so, if you read below some members say that they used their certificates a few months back.

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)

Estimable Member

@christopher They did when we were there in July.

Premium Member
(@antifiat)

Trusted Member

@sonia Yes, we arrived in Lisbon on Sunday.  Before we could fly out of the US on TAP airlines we had to show a negative test...regardless of a vaccination card.  We had to show it again in customs.  Be sure to have a current negative test.  Many passengers didn't get "the memo" at were turned away at the boarding gate. 😣

Community Member
(@lisam)

Hi John,

I wonder, are they also requiring the booster (3rd shot) on our vaccination card?  Carlos and I also used are California digital certification when we traveled to Hawaii which has strict guidelines and was required to get into the islands.

We will be in Portugal in February 🙂

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@hank_2021)

Estimable Member

@lisam I haven't heard anything about this yet. Good question for people who may not yet be eligible for their booster.

Community Member
(@lisam)

Hi John,

I wonder, are they also requiring the booster (3rd shot) on our vaccination card?  Carlos and I also used are California digital certification when we traveled to Hawaii which has strict guidelines and was required to get into the islands.

We will be in Portugal in February 🙂

Community Member
Topic starter
(@jgibson)
Reputable Member

Hopefully I make it into Portugal next week I report back with my experience 

Premium Member
(@crishearne)

We are arriving January 12 and staying at an airbnb for a week to get our apartment set up.  We are a mix of vaccinated and recent covid positive.  Our doctors recommended not getting vaccinated until at least 90 days out.  Even if we chose to vax now, sounds like some restuarants, etc may not accept it.  And the US does not seem to recognize natural immunity like the EU does so we may not be able to get anything like a vax passport to show natural immunity.  This is disappointing.  Completely fine with showing negative tests as that seems to be more relevant given that vaccinated can spread it.  I guess no indoor restaurants for our first few months!

Has anyone used Verifly or other digital system for these things?  Has anyone registered with the national health system having had Covid prior to arriving in Portugal and received the digital certificate noting that?  Thank you!

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@crishearne)

Never mind.  It looks like a negative test gets us in if we do not have digital certificate.  Yay!

Community Member
(@aspidistra)
Reputable Member

News from my latest experience. On the UK gov website it does not say you need a PCR test to stay at a hotel. I am triple vaxxed and have my UK/EU compatible certificate.

Today we arrived at a new hotel and they said we had to show a PCR test. Obvs we couldn’t get one done and results there and then. The hotel gave us no warning we needed a PCR test and insisted it was government policy, not hotel policy.

I was convinced this is incorrect. Can anyone tell me whether this is correct, that you have to show a PCR test at hotels? We were planning to keep moving around but can’t risk it now if we have to keep getting tests.

I offered to do an antigen test in front of them as I have some with me but they didn’t want that. In the end the bloke got us to sign a bit of paper pretending we had had the PCR test and he pretended he had seen it. 
Coming into the country, first hotel would be no problem as people would have the pre-entry/flight PCR test still valid depending on when it was taken. But for subsequent hotels, watch out for this everyone, whether it is correct or not they are doing it at this hotel.

Page 2 / 3

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Serenity Banner
  • EI Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ course
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online