Driving into Portugal from Spain - what are the restrictions? – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

Driving into Portugal from Spain - what are the restrictions?

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@chrisrobo)

I am driving from Germany to Portugal tomorrow for a holiday, and I am bit confused and concerned about the new Covid measures that were introduced this week.

The visitportugal.com site states that when traveling into Portugal by land, the same rules apply as if you were arriving by air, which means to me that I need to get a Covid test in addition to my EU digital vaccination certificate.

However, the news article from portugalresident.com that Carl read out today on Good Morning Portugal states that people traveling from other EU countries (that are low to moderate risk) can enter the country as long as they have an EU digital vaccination certificate. There is no mention of tests.

So now I am confused? Is anyone able to clarify this for me?

I am sorry, I guess many of you are sick of reading and hearing about this subject!

6 Replies

Community Member
(@lowellmk)

Hi -

Not sure if this will help, but my wife and I traveled through Portugal, then our GPS took us through about 38kM south through Spain then back into the Algarave through VRSA....there were no border checkpoints or anyone asking about our vaccination status. We just drove.

Enjoy your trip.

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@chrisrobo)

@lowellmk thank you, I will also be relying on my GPS!

Community Member
(@nonick)

The rule is that if coming in by land and you are a European citizen then you must present your vaccination certificate or a negative test or a recovery certificate. If you are coming from a European country that Portugal considers high risk (red country) then you will require a negative test. If you are not a European citizen then you must present a negative test. The vaccination certificate was agreed upon to give European citizens unrestricted travel. Many people have been confused by this and have stopped crossing the borders from Spain. Hopefully the government will release a statement to clear this up. I will be going into Spain for a few days next week and I only have the vaccination certificate.

https://www.portugalresident.com/get-tough-land-border-controls-in-portugal-start-from-tomorrow/

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@chrisrobo)

@nonick Thank you for your response. I will have to look at which countries are on the red list as I am driving through 4 before I get to Portugal.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

There are random spot checks at the land borders, SEF have published that they stopped 2 French (red list country) citizens today attempting to enter without a relevant test, they were fined and held whist a test was conducted and result obtained before being allowed to enter.

The relevant rule as per Despacho 11820-B/2021 is;

1 - Todos os cidadãos que pretendam entrar em território nacional pela fronteira terrestre devem ser portadores de Certificado Digital COVID da UE, nos termos do artigo 4.º do Decreto-Lei n.º 54-A/2021, de 25 de junho.

2 - Excetua-se do disposto no número anterior os cidadãos provenientes de países classificados com um nível de risco elevado, designadamente quando se encontrem no nível vermelho ou vermelho escuro da classificação do Centro Europeu de Prevenção e Controlo das Doenças (ECDC), e não tenham apresentado Certificado Digital COVID da UE na modalidade de teste ou de recuperação, nos termos das alíneas b) e c) do n.º 1 do artigo 4.º do Decreto-Lei n.º 54-A/2021, de 25 de junho, os quais devem apresentar:

a) Comprovativo de realização laboratorial de teste de amplificação de ácidos nucleicos (TAAN), realizado nas últimas 72 horas, com resultado negativo; ou

b) Comprovativo de teste rápido de antigénio (TRAg) para despiste da infeção por SARS-CoV-2, realizado nas últimas 48 horas, com resultado negativo.

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@chrisrobo)

@old-bloke thank you for your response. I will probably get tested in Germany and France then. I just hope I don't need to get tested in Spain too!

• Serenity Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner
  • Sovereign Group Leaderboard

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ course
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online