Eastern migration – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Eastern migration

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@jgibson)
Estimable Member

While sitting in my state room on the ship I work on I was searching the Internet and came across a photo of the ship that my wife’s grandparents immigrated from Switzerland to America on. This led me to researching the ships that my great grandparents immigrated from Scotland,England and Ireland to America. At 53 I find myself preparing my family for an eastern migration  from America to Portugal. Wondering what my ancestors would think.

12 Replies

Zoom
(@zoom)

I think the basis for migration has usually been some variation of a "better life for me/the family", and sounds like we're kind of in the same boat now (sorry about the pun). My wife and I came from Germany and India 40 years ago, and made a really good life for ourselves in the US - still probably the best "meritocracy" in the world, for the most part. But now, to use Mazlow's hierarchy (see Dad, I did actually learn something in college), I feel like we need to pursue intellectual freedom and growth while minimizing stress, which is leading us to look at Portugal. Taking the rose-colo(u)red glasses/specs off for a minute, this is probably not a "better in every way" situation for everyone, but it sure looks like it (or close) for us. Like you, our kids are established, so we no longer need to worry about anyone else, except my mother-in-law in Germany, so its basically full-steam ahead! (sorry again)

Your ancestors would understand why!

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@longhornlady)

Trusted Member

@zoom My recent ancestors, my parents moved when I was 9 years old without a job or house but dreams from Oklahoma, USA to Texas. 

I moved from Texas (for a LOT of reasons) to California in 1987 and now to Portugal, after retirement, for my "best life".

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@jgibson)
Estimable Member

I like the nomad capitalist slogan

Go where you’re treated the best.

9 Replies
 MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)

Estimable Member

@jgibson I use that as my signature on another forum. 👍

Premium Member
(@jeanne)

Estimable Member

@jgibson   I like the slogan but not the NC's attitude. He looks to me to be extractive and only interested in various countries to the extent that they can benefit his own bottom line. For the NC, it's a one way street.

Zoom
(@zoom)

@jeanne agreed - it's a rather self-centered attitude - his slogan is good, but his definition of treated the best is where he pays the least in taxes and labor costs.

Premium Member
(@jgibson)

Estimable Member

@zoom I don’t particularly subscribe and follow his train of thought but I do like the slogan I’m moving to a country that I can afford healthcare and I can afford to educate my children and I don’t have to be armed to protect my family so in that respect I feel like I’m going to a place that will treat me better

Ralf
Premium Member
(@ralf)

Trusted Member

@jgibson I look forward to not having guns.

Premium Member
(@jgibson)

Estimable Member

@ralf I guess it would be shocking for some I actually own guns and my wife and daughter have concealed carry permits but that’s just the environment we live in. I’m gladly leaving my guns behind and moving to a country where they’re not allowed or needed for self defense.  This  was a big motivation when searching for a country to relocate my family. Initially I found the graffiti a little offputting because where I come from graffiti is equated with gangs and violence. But after visiting and talking with people I realize it is something that I should not be concerned about we felt very at ease and safe traveling throughout Portugal.

Premium Member
(@jeanne)

Estimable Member

@jgibson   graffiti can be ugly .. But, unlike a gun, it will not kill you.

Premium Member
(@longhornlady)

Trusted Member

@ralf As a former Texan, this may seem extreme, but living in a country that is listed as the third safest in the world, made me happy to leave the guns behind.

Ralf
Premium Member
(@ralf)

Trusted Member

@longhornlady Yep. Guns are very common here in Alaska. I have a couple but not fond of them. I like to fish, not hunt. I look forward to never owning a gun again.

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online