Electric Bikes – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Electric Bikes  

Admin
Topic starter
(@gerry)
Reputable Member

https://expatsportugal.com/community/sporting-and-leisure-activities-in-portugal/portugal-bike-paths-routs-eco-paths/#post-182030

The above is a great post with so much information about walking and cycling routes and has prompted me to think about buying a new bike. I am drawn to the electric bikes for sale through Decathlon. I like the idea of having some assistance on the hills. Has anyone bought one of these and any experiences to share please ???

9 Replies

PamE
Premium Member
(@pje)

Hi Gerry

i am not in Portugal (yet!) but bought an Ebike in July & absolutely love it. I had both knees replaced in Mar & was not sure I’d be able to ride a bike yet. The Ebike has allowed me to ride again. So far since July I’ve ridden 800 miles & often ride 30 miles in a day . I’m impatiently waiting for the days to get longer so I can ride after work 😊. Mine is a BH brand ( made in Spain) & I mainly use the lowest level of assistance & I use the throttle to get started. It’s wonderful to go up hills with no more effort that going on a flat area. The bike has been the most fun that I’ve had in years!

Admin
Topic starter
(@gerry)
Reputable Member

@pje

That is wonderful PamE and thank you so much. 30 miles a day is amazing.

4 Replies
Premium Member
(@frozenrope8gmail-com)

Trusted Member

@gerry I’m planning on getting an ebike if I make it to Portugal. They look like a blast, and very helpful.

Community Member
(@jeanne)

@frozenrope8gmail-com.  Is there any requirement in PT to wear a bike helmet?

Premium Member
(@frozenrope8gmail-com)

Trusted Member

@jeanne https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_helmet_laws_by_country

There was some chatter about Portugal making it law, but it didn't pass. I know I should wear a helmet at all times, but I must admit I don't always do as it is very liberating to ride without one, on occasion. I would say I wear a helmet about 80% of the time. Hope you are well! Looks like you are in the USA also, trying to get to Portugal.

Community Member
(@jeanne)

@frozenrope8gmail-com. Whether one 'should' wear a helmet depends I think on the cycling infrastructure. I n Holland I never wore a helmet, but then they take their bike infra seriously there. But where I am here in the US it's not required by law, but our bike lanes are little more than a smear of paint on the road, so I do wear a helmet.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

Wikipedia aren't always accurate and their info re the law on wearing cycle helmets in Portugal is out of date.

The requirement for riders of electric bicycles to wear helmets (Article 82.5 of the Codigo da Estrada) was repealed by Lei 102-B/2020 of 09/12/20 which came into force 09/01/21.

That change wasn't widely publicised in the media as they focused more on some of the other changes, like the fine for mobile phone use being doubled.

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@frozenrope8gmail-com)

Trusted Member

@old-bloke Thanks for the more accurate info.

Admin
Topic starter
(@gerry)
Reputable Member

Just seems like common sense to me to wear a helmet. But as for the Lycra and the rest of that stuff 👎 

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you renew your membership.

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online