Expat head-up: SEF officially becomes SEA today – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Expat head-up: SEF officially becomes SEA today

Admin
Topic starter
(@carlm)
Estimable Member
7 Replies

Premium Member
(@michael_tn)
Trusted Member

Fun times!?!? What are the differences in the policing units, PSP, GNR, PJ? 

1 Reply
Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasandmatthew)

@michael_tn

PSP is the civil police force - typically viewed as responsible for urban areas, but also for policing issues of rights, public safety, and internal security.

GNR is the military police force - typically found in more rural areas, but also responsible for a range of things such as fiscal crime, traffic policing, political protection, coastal defence - and as an arm of the military, they also take active roles in some overseas peacekeeping, etc.  (They also do various "softer" things, like assisting with distressed/injured animals, given their rural presence).

So, there's a kind of overlap between the above two - if you're in a large town or city, your local go-to police tends to be the PSP (even if there is a GNR there), whereas in the countryside, your nearest small town may only have a GNR.

Polícia Judiciária is the criminal investigation police - so, they don't "police" in the "walking the streets" sense, but do the more detailed behind-the-scenes work.  For example, cases will typically be referred to them by the PSP etc.  Their role in the new structure is primarily illegal immigration and people smuggling.

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasandmatthew)

The headline here is a little unhelpful in that SEA will not actually be taking over a lot of SEF's roles, including what most interests most of us.   The new SEA will have a form of central oversight and data ownership, but the key agency for immigrants/expats will be the IRN.

The IRN (the National Registry, which people may have come across for cadernetas [property documentation] and perhaps business registration) will be responsible for passports and residency documentation.  It seems likely that SEF staff previously working on this, and perhaps some locations, will transfer across - but there is as yet no published information about the practical impacts.

tdn
Community Member
(@tdn)
Trusted Member

Wondering, if it is a good or a bad thing for us, who is coming to Portugal. somewhere deep inside I hear the voice whispering that this move might create some delays or hiccups. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope that this move will not postpone our processes and scheduled appointments.

I would rather like to have a positive experience 😆 

2 Replies
Admin
(@carlm)

Estimable Member

@tdn I think it's hard to call. They could be eager to please and change their image, yet change causes delays. Then again, this might only be labelling and the civil servants at the core may remain unchanged?

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@tdn

I suspect nothing for you will change, the published information stated IRN will become responsible for renewing resident's permits, rather than they will become responsible for issuing them. That to me suggests SEA will still be responsible for the first issue of such and only after that will it fall into the remit of IRN.
It's also worth noting that article 81.1 of the immigration act is still saying applications are to be submitted to SEF (now called SEA).

Community Member
(@martin)
Noble Member

I recall someone was stopped by the gnr, he expressed annoyance and said he thought the gnr were there to help people?

"No" said the gnr man " our job is to protect the government"

EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online