FBI criminal record – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

FBI criminal record

31 Posts
10 Users
40 Likes
Premium Member
Topic starter
(@jgibson)

Hello,just got my D7 check list from EI can any of my fellow Americans steer me in the right direction in regards to the FBI criminal records check. I’m not sure were  to apply for this. Thanks for help!

30 Replies
Premium Member
(@thunderduck)

I think the easiest way now is to go directly through the FBI. Last year it was taking 12 weeks. Now it says 3-5 business days after they receive your fingerprint card. Start here:

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks

7 Replies
Premium Member
(@thunderduck)

And when it arrives, don't open it! Otherwise you'll need to get it apostilled. 

Premium Member
(@jgibson)

@maxgravy awesome thank you for quick reply

Premium Member
(@jgibson)

@maxgravy I’m in there system not  in a bad way lol hopefully it will process quickly

Community Member
(@mrsbrabbit)

@maxgravy @jgibson My husband and I did this a few months ago to add Global Entry added to our passports. Don’t know if there’s a time limit on background checks though. Good luck

Premium Member
(@jgibson)

@mrsbrabbit I just did the global entry I wonder if those fingerprints they took would work I guess I’m not sure how I would tie the two requests together

Community Member
(@mrsbrabbit)

@jgibson I don’t know either, but they are the same thing. I wonder…

tdn
Community Member
(@tdn)

@mrsbrabbit per FBI website background checks are valid only for 90 days. This is something to keep in mind for timing your visa application. Would be nicer if they lasted for longer, right? like, with the Global entry, which is valid for 5 years.

tdn
Community Member
(@tdn)

Agree with @MaxG, it is easy to get it directly from the FBI website. Do not open the envelope. You will be able to review your records online, as you will receive a link via email allowing to do so.
Once you go to the place where they take you fingerprints, make sure you fingers are not too dry. Apply lots of moisturizing cream on it in advance or presoak your fingers, if the skin is dry. Even though, such places provide such a cream, I was almost sent home, as the machine was struggling to read them 🤣 who would knew!
we received our online records in 2 days and our sealed envelopes in 2 weeks, back in December of 2020.

good luck!

2 Replies
Premium Member
(@jgibson)

@tdn Great advice thank you so much

Premium Member
(@emergentt)

@jgibson We did this in August and then went to our local post office for fingerprinting. (The passport office within the USPS office). Super easy and transmitted directly to FBI. Then got an email in less than 48 hours with results and then the hard copy a couple of weeks later... we will have to redo the process as it will have been greater than 3 months but it was good to have a practice run I guess...

Premium Member
(@crishearne)

We just did this two weeks ago.  Definitely get fingerprints sent from USPS.  We received our sealed FBI reports within a week.  If you get the email FBI report, it must be apostilled in DC and we were told that would take 4-6 weeks.

Premium Member
(@desertdweller)

Hi, I am confused about which envelope I shouldn't open. Is it the big mailing envelope with the label to me and the bar code or the actual envelope inside. I was very confused as I thought there would be an official seal of some sort indicating the internal envelope came from the FBI. But mine was a plain sealed manila envelope. Is this the one they want? 

Page 1 / 3

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal