FBI criminal record – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Martinhall banner
  • Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

FBI criminal record

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@jgibson)
Estimable Member

Hello,just got my D7 check list from EI can any of my fellow Americans steer me in the right direction in regards to the FBI criminal records check. I’m not sure were  to apply for this. Thanks for help!

12 Replies

MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)
Estimable Member

I think the easiest way now is to go directly through the FBI. Last year it was taking 12 weeks. Now it says 3-5 business days after they receive your fingerprint card. Start here:

7 Replies
 MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)

Estimable Member

And when it arrives, don't open it! Otherwise you'll need to get it apostilled. 

Premium Member
(@jgibson)

Estimable Member

@maxgravy awesome thank you for quick reply

Premium Member
(@jgibson)

Estimable Member

@maxgravy I’m in there system not  in a bad way lol hopefully it will process quickly

Premium Member
(@mrsbrabbit)

Eminent Member

@maxgravy @jgibson My husband and I did this a few months ago to add Global Entry added to our passports. Don’t know if there’s a time limit on background checks though. Good luck

Premium Member
(@jgibson)

Estimable Member

@mrsbrabbit I just did the global entry I wonder if those fingerprints they took would work I guess I’m not sure how I would tie the two requests together

Premium Member
(@mrsbrabbit)

Eminent Member

@jgibson I don’t know either, but they are the same thing. I wonder…

tdn
Community Member
(@tdn)

Estimable Member

@mrsbrabbit per FBI website background checks are valid only for 90 days. This is something to keep in mind for timing your visa application. Would be nicer if they lasted for longer, right? like, with the Global entry, which is valid for 5 years.

tdn
Community Member
(@tdn)
Estimable Member

Agree with @MaxG, it is easy to get it directly from the FBI website. Do not open the envelope. You will be able to review your records online, as you will receive a link via email allowing to do so.
Once you go to the place where they take you fingerprints, make sure you fingers are not too dry. Apply lots of moisturizing cream on it in advance or presoak your fingers, if the skin is dry. Even though, such places provide such a cream, I was almost sent home, as the machine was struggling to read them 🤣 who would knew!
we received our online records in 2 days and our sealed envelopes in 2 weeks, back in December of 2020.

good luck!

2 Replies
Premium Member
(@jgibson)

Estimable Member

@tdn Great advice thank you so much

Premium Member
(@emergentt)

Eminent Member

@jgibson We did this in August and then went to our local post office for fingerprinting. (The passport office within the USPS office). Super easy and transmitted directly to FBI. Then got an email in less than 48 hours with results and then the hard copy a couple of weeks later... we will have to redo the process as it will have been greater than 3 months but it was good to have a practice run I guess...

Premium Member
(@crishearne)

We just did this two weeks ago.  Definitely get fingerprints sent from USPS.  We received our sealed FBI reports within a week.  If you get the email FBI report, it must be apostilled in DC and we were told that would take 4-6 weeks.

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online