Feeling Like a Foreigner – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Feeling Like a Fore...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Storage Express banner

Feeling Like a Foreigner  

VIP Member
(@deborahd)

I really like this quote: “People don’t know what it’s like being the foreigner until they are one.” from Amber Liuread

I'm curious about you. When have you felt like a foreigner? Do you feel excited about the adventure and novelty or does it make you anxious?

4 Replies
VIP Member
(@mrbife)
Honorable Member

From a personal perspective I have never been made to feel like a foreigner in Portugal.  I certainly felt inadequate a few times during my early years, mainly due to lack of language skills but that only prompted me to improve and integrate.

Last time I did feel like a foreigner was on a trip back to the UK (my birthplace) where I realised how narrow minded and selfish people there were becoming and just how useful a wider perspective of the world really was.

So, enjoy the adventure and grow with it

1 Reply
VIP Member
(@deborahd)

@mrbife it is quite interesting (and sometimes unsettling) when we go back "home" and it feels so strange... it's reverse culture shock and we seldom are aware or prepared for it 🙂

VIP Member
(@stevej)
Noble Member

I think there is a difference between "being made to feel like a foreigner" and realising that you are one.

For us, the early weeks/months after the move were a whirlwind of emotions: tiredness from the physical move; elation that we had finally made it; realisation that this was for ever, not just a holiday. So, finding our way through the forms, offices, bureaucracy, supermarkets etc. to get everything sorted certainly brought home to us that we were no longer in our own country, but that was more a logistical thing than down to any attitude we experienced. We certainly didn't feel we were unwelcome at all (well, apart from the receptionists at the Centro de Saúde - an ongoing irritation, unfortunately, which I am still not sure is due to language/foreigner issues, or just the administration ethos in this particular health centre).

And now, two years later, my only problem is that I realise I just do not have an ear for foreign languages. I can read/write and even (not so fluently "off the cuff") speak Portuguese but I just can not get to grips with the spoken word. However, even with this limitation, I am successfully communicating with builders and architect without getting any feelings of resentment that I am a foreigner.

So, yes you might come across some barriers as you make your new life, but these will largely be down to navigating systems rather than from any personal antipathy to foreigners.

Steve

1 Reply
VIP Member
(@deborahd)

@stevej It is quite a learning curve to be a foreigner. I think it also depends on the country and your nationality. In Portugal, in general, people seem very open and accommodating to foreigner's needs. How was your connection with the locals besides the logistics? Have you made Portuguese friends?

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Join any Group within our Online Community
    • Get social on Zoom meet-ups and webinars
    • List products free of charge in Buy, Swap, Sell & Wanted
    • Include your local events in our events calendar
    • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
    • Receive exclusive member benefits and discounts from our partners
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €20 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online