Flying Lizards alias UK MP's -Money – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx

Flying Lizards alias UK MP's -Money

Page 1 / 3

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@ali-gator)
Illustrious Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W25_jgiY51I

MPs are braced for a major public backlash when a deal that would see their pay soar by almost £10,000 is unveiled. http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/mps-braced-fo ... binganswer

Does anyone get the feeling like me....that this is just a Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" UNFAIR ? Surely this matter can only be viewed as absolute immoral greed and more so at a time of extreme austerity. If anything M.P's salary's should be cut in half of what they are getting now and a set amount for expenses which does not included such items as duck ponds and decorating second and more homes and the like.

The current basic annual salary for an MP in the United Kingdom is £65,738. In addition, MPs are able to claim allowances to cover the costs of running an office and employing staff, and maintaining a constituency residence and a residence in London.[1] Additional salary is paid for appointments or additional duties - such as the chairing of select committees.

Due to additional allowances it is difficult to calculate the annual basic salary of an MP, but for an MP with no additional responsibilities, who stays for a single term of 5 years, the MP's severance package will raise the taxable salary by over £12,000 per annum (see Allowances below) - giving an effective annual salary of £77,738.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPs_Salaries_in_the_UK
What I can never understand and I am quite sure that I am not along in my thoughts, is that when MP's are red handily caught in doing wrong, such as making false claims for expenses, they still carry on in their position. In my book stealing and fraud, are just that. Everyday of the week people are sentence to prison for stealing far less and sacked from their employment. So like the above pay rise and most will have heard the expression "a law for the public and "a different law for...." Enough is enough....no wonder so many are disgruntled in the U.K and as history portrays you can push the people so far. Ali

12 Replies

VIP Member
(@crazy-russian)
Illustrious Member

Ali
firstly let me say I agree with your final paragraph absolutely.

however the very BEST thing about this propsed salary 'review package' NOT the pay rise..which is simply press sensationalism

is the getting rid off the 'loss of office' payment(s)

how these have survived so long is outragous
its no more than a reward (a FURTHERreward) for being ousted by voters...who (presumably) have decided that someone el;se can perform better..........so why reward the less competant?

the press are not putting it up in a neutral manner
and not much is mentioned about it not applicable until 2015 either.

ALL these self opinionated MPs only do it for self improvement and hugerewards after office
so MP salaries should be kept low as a balance

after all..in the real world..one doesnt get paid a fortune while setting up ones future...it only comes later

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@ali-gator)
Illustrious Member

C.R,
I have to confess I am somewhat confused on this one?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/global/blog/2 ... 10000-live
Ali

VIP Member
(@stevej)
Noble Member

Ali,

1) MPs dip their noses in the trough - result > public outrage at MPs

2) So - they set up an independent body to look after expenses, salaries etc. This is designed so that MPs can have NO say over these things.

3) Said body comes up with a set of proposals, one of which is a salary increase, coupled with pension reductions, reduced severance packages etc.

Result > public outrage at MPs.

A bit of a no-win situation.

Anyway - these are just proposals, open to full public consultation. See here for full details, with the following being an extract:

The consultation runs until 20 October 2013. The full consultation document is available on IPSA’s website. People can share their views through IPSA’s website ( http://www.parliamentarystandards.org.uk ), Twitter ( http://www.twitter.com/mppayandpension ), by email (mppayandpension@parliamentarystandards.org.uk) or by post.

If we feel strongly, then we can make our opinions known to the consultation.

By the way - there are many, many consultations from the government, all open to the public to make their feelings known. See here for a list of current consultations.

I can't find a direct equivalent list of consultations by the Portuguese government, but some departments do seem to run consultations on specific topics - see here for a consultation on tourist development.

It's all part of democracy - if we don't take part, we can't really moan, can we.

Steve

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@ali-gator)
Illustrious Member

Steve, Thank you for your above post. I am reading through it as I munch me muesli cranberry bar and drink me coffee. Now about all these consultants variants...a little question....whose paying for all these bodies Or do I need to be told that to ruin me day Ali

Page 1 / 3

• EI Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online