House wiring – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

House wiring

Community Member
Topic starter
(@woodbee)

Hi, does anybody have any experience of rewiring a domestic property in Portugal. I'm not quite there yet, but will be as soon as we are allowed.

The property that we will be moving to will need to be rewired. I was wondering if there is any reason that we cannot have our son rewire the property for us as he is a qualified electrician (UK)

I imagine that it will need to be signed off by somebody, but can anybody see any reason why this wouldn't be the best way to go and has anybody else rewired their own property?

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasandmatthew)

In practical terms, it's likely to be more rapid; and generally, the safety standards are at least as high - in fact, he may be horrified by some of what he finds (lack of an earth seems to be a common factor...)

The issue could be, getting someone to sign off work they haven't done.  As he may himself feel, it's hard to put your name to something you haven't seen.  So, if certification is going to be important (to increase your overall power rating beyond the level the supply company has on record as being appropriate; for licensing for alojamento local or other uses; for rental...) then you may want to bear that in mind, and perhaps link your son's work with a local electrician who is prepared to certify it.

As a point of reference, I have needed in the recent past to get certification for pre-existing but new wiring.  I was quoted €1-2k, which was partly, I think, for the reputational risk to the person certifying.  I am sure some would do it for much less!  Not all electricians, or even qualified/registered ones, have the recognition to do formal certification, by the way.  There's a kind of "self-certification of works" which is sometimes issued, but this doesn't count for power rating increases, or alojamento local, for instance.

Thomas

Discover the beautiful Ribatejo!
facebook.com/groups/ribatejoliving

Need help with planning, surveys and restoration?  Contact us!
reabilitejo.pt or facebook.com/reabilitejo

2 Replies
Community Member
(@woodbee)

@thomasandmatthew Thank you Thomas, from what you say here, we would probably be wiser to wait a little while until we are over there, have the existing wiring increased to where we want it to be and then make a more informed decision.

Your input on all counts has been extremely useful and is helping me to compartmentalise things that will need addressing before or shortly after we arrive.

I hate grey areas, and this is most helpful.

Thanks, Mary.

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasandmatthew)

@woodbee I'm pleased, Mary - I worry I sometimes come across as "pointy", but it's because I like to know directly, not around the bush.  I also try not to input where I am not sure, as "I reckons" don't help!  Best wishes with all your preparations, and do keep asking the Forum for help!

I think your assessment here is sensible - minimum intervention for what you need, then something more thorough later on.  It took me time to get used to the fact that power ratings are typically much lower, as until recently, people had few appliances - so things would trip, repeatedly!  Getting someone to sort each thing can be self-defeating.  At least your son should be able to help you plan, and make minor fixes, pending more later.

Community Member
Topic starter
(@woodbee)

Hi Thomas, "pointy" is perfect. Thanks again, Mary.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online