How do you deal with Portuguese lack of time management – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Serenity Banner
  • spartan Fx

How do you deal with Portuguese lack of time management

Page 1 / 2

Community Member
Topic starter
(@thr238)
Eminent Member

Hi everyone. I’d like to know how any business owners here handle Portuguese business owners and their lack of time management. As you might know, the Portuguese don’t have any concept of time management. If you book an appointment with them at 3pm, they don’t show up at 3pm, they arrive at 4pm, 5pm or never, and then make excuses as to why they didn’t show up instead of apologising. If you ask them to do something for 3pm, the same situation happens again.

When you challenge them on this issue, instead of getting an apology, they will blame you for *their behaviour*, try to undermine you, or give you the silent treatment. I’ve experienced this mainly from independent businesses such as guest houses, stores and rental companies. I’m in a situation right now, where the Portuguese business owner is being passive aggressive towards me, because *they* failed to turn up to a meeting we’d arranged *together* that was scheduled 2 weeks ago and I called them out on it. It’s so juvenile and draining.

If anyone has any tips on how these Portuguese time problems, please share.

Many thanks.

6 Replies

Admin
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

Have to say this has not been my experience. As expatsportugal, we work with a lot of different business personnel from owners to employees and I cannot recollect one single meeting where all parties did not show up at the scheduled time. 

Community Member
(@aspidistra)
Estimable Member

Nope not my experience either. What we do know is the Portuguese value politeness, so maybe not the best idea to make a fuss about someone else's lateness, the correct polite response would be it doesn’t matter?

Saying 'The Portugueuse don't have any concept of time management' is a hugely sweeping and somewhat patronising thing to say, I think I wouldn’t want to show up on time to someone who held such a view of an entire nation, 😂 or do business with them.

Community Member
(@aspidistra)
Estimable Member

Sorry that probably sounded a little harsh the way I put it.

Premium Member
(@midlifecrisis)
Trusted Member

Mate your just being rude and I'd invite you to take down this post

Page 1 / 2

• EI Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Serenity Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online