How to get texts & calls to my U.S. phone number in Portugal – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

How to get texts & calls to my U.S. phone number in Portugal

6 Posts
3 Users
6 Likes
Premium Member
Topic starter
(@chris_in_california)

I hope you all can help with this one. We have a phone service in the states called Visible. They have no international service plan. 

I’m concerned about getting texts to my US number in Portugal, especially for my banks’ 2-factor authentication. 

Is there any way that I can make this work? 

Thanks. 

-Chris

5 Replies
Premium Member
(@emergentt)

Chris,  not sure about visible.

We use google fi as it seems to be designed for international travelers. Both my wife and I ported our US numbers over to google fi. So our phones work in Portugal and in 100 other countries the moment we land. 

we also just got Portuguese numbers through MEO. 

so we use a ‘digital’ or ‘eSIM’ for our google numbers and an actual sim for our Portugal numbers 

my phone shows the covg both for the MEO network for my Portugal number and the googlefi (vodaphone in Portugal I think) network at the same time. 

so if someone calls either of my numbers my only one phone rings. 

(this means I still get US telemarketing calls unfortunately:). )

Thx,

gene

2 Replies
Premium Member
(@chris_in_california)

@emergentt Hey Gene.

I appreciate the feedback.

When you Port a number over to Google Fi, is that permanent or can I switch back when I’m back in the states.

I’m looking for a temporary solution for the next 3 months, since this is just a scouting trip. 

I did find out about an esim service called Dent, that is supposed to work with Visible and in Portugal. 🤞🏼

Thanks again,

Chris

Premium Member
(@emergentt)

@chris_in_california I think you could switch back if you want to. Google fi is a non contract based service and you can stop anytime. That being said it also works US using t mobile so depending on your coverage you could also keep it. In the end it was cheaper for us by over half covering both of our lines than our old Verizon plan.

Premium Member
(@gmgraves)

Gene, do you know whether Google Voice or Google Fi is better?

Did you get your eSim prior to leaving the states and then add the Portuguese Sim card upon arrival in Portugal?

We leave for Portugal March 30 and want to make sure we get the logistics of the phones correct!

Thanks! -Gary

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@emergentt)

@gmgraves of course. I think Google voice is a voip system and requires Wi-Fi /data to make calls as opposed to using a cell mobile network. I had to be available for work at anytime/anyplace so we opted for the Google fi plan. Yes I set up the e sim before we left and have used it for about 8 months now. When we arrived here our data plan/internet was already set up (by EI thanks Gilda and Joana) so our sims were waiting for us at our place. There is one funky thing with Google fi is that every time there is an apple software upgrade we need to make sure the cellular settings are just right to receive texts. Takes a minute but it’s weird.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal