I could use some knowledge and input: Salamanders, Zones, and Purple Bushes – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

I could use some knowledge and input: Salamanders, Zones, and Purple Bushes  

Page 1 / 2

Community Member
(@shoesonwires)

Hey all!

Questions, I have questions.

I'm writing an article for my site on Portuguese real estate vocabulary. I have encountered two terms that stump me. The first is "daughter in law" - this is clearly an irrigation term, I'm guessing a hand-worked pump?

Second - "salamander." A kind of oven or cooking system?

Third, I have spent some time trying to refine a system of zones for the Algarve. I think it would be a helpful thing to have when discussing things like tourism, real estate, economic activity, and more. There are a number of ways out there to divide the Algarve into zones or distinct areas, but I felt they could use some refining and/or synthesis. I have written an article that describes the provisional system I have come up with and the process that resulted in it. I could really use some input and feedback from people who actually live in the Algarve or have a lot of first-hand experience with it. Here is the article: Zoning Out in the Algarve I'm open to tweakage!

At the risk of overloading this topic 😋, for anyone living in the Ria Formosa area (Zone 3 - Central Coast), why are the bushes in and around the salt pans and the mud flats turning bright purple? Minerals? Bacteria? Has anyone else wondered about this? Images here: Underwater Trails and Purple Bushes - Olhão Mysteries

Thanks!!

- Justus

10 Replies
VIP Member
(@mrbife)
Honorable Member

🙂

The Portuguese word for Daughter in Law is 'Nora' which also means a 'well'.

A salamander is a closed wood burning stove, usually with a glass door and sometimes with a back boiler

Algarve (not 'The' Algarve please) is often divided into three unofficial areas - East, West and Central

More officially its divided into councils (Concelhos) and each one into parishes (Freguesias)

I would not imagine there were any need for a new or revised system

Good luck with your article !

VIP Member
(@mrbife)
Honorable Member

All you ever needed to know about Nora here ...

https://beckyinportugal.com/2017/01/25/algarve-agricultural-history/

Community Member
(@cabanastavira)

This is an interesting article and makes sense.

The area can also be divided into 'barlavento' and 'sotavento'. They broadly equate to west and east Algarve respectively and have to do with wind direction, I think. These areas are used for the telephone codes too.

2 Replies
Community Member
(@shoesonwires)

@mrbife - Thanks for the feedback. That Nora article looks very useful. I'm fascinated by the Portuguese relationship with water and irrigation. Non-municipal water supply is something you rarely see where I'm from. 

Thanks especially for the word on "Algarve" over "The Algarve." I've been wondering about that. Too late for me to change my url, unfortunately.

I'm familiar with the administrative divisions, and I wish Canada had a version of Freguesias. I like the idea of fine-grained local government. I will be the first to say that the idea of a guy from Vancouver who has visited Lagos twice has any business trying to refine a system of zones/areas/divisions for Algarve is slightly ridiculous. It's a mental exercise as much as anything - I enjoy working with maps.

It seems to me, though that there is an intrinsic difference between the coast, the barrocal, and the mountains, and that this roughly South to North difference intersects with the traditional West to East divisions. From both an environmental and economic perspective, the conditions in, say, the mountains around Monchique vary significantly from those around Tavira, or Sagres, or Silves. Different and distinctive terrains along with different and distinctive jobs/tourism/real estate opportunities. From my viewpoint way over here in Canada, having spent a lot of time during the Quarantine researching Algarve and making plans for an eventual move, Algarve's future would be broadened and solidified if activity away from the coast and traditional tourism was increased. There's so much rural property out there just waiting for families to take them on and live a more self-sufficient life. Okay, this is a whole different conversation, but what I'm trying to say is that conversations like that might be enhanced by having a system of zones in place.

Regardless, thanks again for your input. 😀 

@cabanastavira Cheers. 😊 I like the windward/leeward distinction, too. It's got a romance to it. And what's more romantic than the telephone code system? 😋 

Community Member
(@peggyl)

Trusted Member

@shoesonwires

I strongly suggest that you use the divisions and current names in your descriptions of Algarve countryside areas. That way people reading it can research by using the current, correct, name if they need more information. If you make up new names, they will be unable to research any of them. Why reinvent the wheel?

@peggyL

Community Member
(@shoesonwires)

@peggyL - I agree. I'm open to suggestions. Some of the names I used do reflect local names, e.g.:

Vicenti/Sagres Coast 

Eastern/Guardiana Coast

Barrocal

Monchique Mountains

Eastern/Guardiana Mountains

Plus, all of the names should have a Portuguese version.

Page 1 / 2

Live and Invest Portugal

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Receive exclusive member benefits from our partners: view current offers
      • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars
      • Join any Group within our Online Community
      • Include your local events in our events calendar
      • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €25 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online