Is Portugal Shut? – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Martinhall banner
  • Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Is Portugal Shut?

Page 1 / 2

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@paulr)
Estimable Member

Only just trying to get an appointment to apply for PT Residency

Have sent E-Mails,written letters, Tried phones Zero response, Is there anybody there?

Still in the Uk sent a E-mail to SEF, was told contact your Embassy in your own country. VFS Global are a secret society they never answer to anybody

Sent E-mails to PT Embassy Portimào No responce

Sent e-mails to Pt Embassy Uk.  No response 

If did not own property in PT would consider looking at another countries, but they are probably just as bad.

13 Replies

Community Member
(@brandy)
Eminent Member

Sorry you're having such a frustrating experience! Hope you're able to find some help soon.

Have you looked at the holiday calendar? I think I read that there are a lot of national holidays in Portugal, so that could explain the complete radio silence you're encountering. 

Premium Member
(@cindyb)
Trusted Member

Sorry Paul. I know how frustrating that must be.

For what it's worth, I am going through Ei! and everything has gone smoothly so far.

Boa sorte

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@paulr)
Estimable Member

Thanks everyone

I know I can use Agents to process the application, However I think you should not have to pay third party agents just to arrange an appointment  which is your fundamental right. Whether the PT embassy/SEF accept you at the appointment is a different matter. but the process of booking an appointment should be open to everybody.

Community Member
(@aspidistra)
Estimable Member

I was just talking to someone who was saying everything bureaucratic in Portugal is delayed because of the elections. I have no idea why other things should be delayed because of this but just saying what I was told. It seems to stop everything?

4 Replies
Admin
(@thomasribatejo)

Reputable Member

@aspidistra this is effectively true of local council related things - the local elections are next Sunday, and the weeks before have elements of purdah, and also elements of uncertainty. This shouldn't affect basic stuff (though it can!) but it does affect those things with a potential political dimension (eg planning).

The more likely issue in this case is the ongoing uncertainty around the new process for UK citizens, and the reorganisation of SEF. This has led to much of the residency stuff grinding to a halt for Brits. As offices are now open for visiting, I think doorstepping would be the best way to get some kind of answer. In person is almost always more effective then telephone, which is in turn more effective than online...

Community Member
(@antonio_f)

@thomasribatejo You're probably right about the delay is mostly SEF related. Its services were very afected (delayed) by the confinments, and in August by their partial strike, which, added to the reported dispersion of their tasks to other LEA and public services, is the perfect mess.

Premium Member
(@jeanne)

Estimable Member

@antonio_f   I've read endless grumbling about SEF since I joined the Forum about a year ago.  Has SEF ever been easy to work with? Is it just since the pandemic began that it become, as you describe it, a perfect mess?

Community Member
(@antonio_f)

@jeanne I'd say it became worse in the last 3 or 4 years, with the increase of expats/immigrants, without the corresponding growth in personnel to deal with it.

Page 1 / 2

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online