Moving from the US/What Items are Useless in Portugal – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

Moving from the US/What Items are Useless in Portugal  

Bert
Premium Member
(@bert)
Eminent Member

Good Morning, I am selling my house in the US early next year and am trying to figure out which things to sell and which things to ship to Portugal when I leave. For example - appliances like blenders and such, are there permanent adaptors you can buy for them or best to just get new ones there? I have 2 kayaks, thinking about all the small cars there and wondering if people have racks they put on their cars and no problem or should I rethink it? What other items might I not be thinking about but should think about just leaving or selling in the US? 

And in Portugal what items are expensive to buy? Furniture? Carpets? Etc. Are there places like in the US there, thrift stores, flea markets, estate sales? Thanks so much.

9 Replies

Admin
(@gerry)
Reputable Member

Hi @bert

Sadly, your electric appliances won't work as we have a higher voltage system here. Definitely worth bringing those kayaks and no problem to get car roof racks. 

I have copied @peggyl and @milu in the hope they can reply in detail as both these ladies have moved recently from USA and I know they have lots of knowledge on this particular subject.

Regards

Gerry  

3 Replies
Admin
(@astridff)

@gerry All of our appliances we brought from Australia work fine here in Portugal. Are you sure they won't work from the USA?

Bert
Premium Member
(@bert)

Eminent Member

@astridff No our voltage in the US is different. I hope there are Kitchen Aid mixer similars in Portugal!

Admin
(@astridff)

@bert Brought out Kitchen Aid mixer from Oz... love it. There are plenty of places you can buy here if needed. Otherwise Amazon is always a good bet.

Milu
Community Member
(@milu)

Hi @Bert, we've finally finished unpacking everything that came in our second container, and since we shipped the second one almost a year after the first one, I packed the second container differently, based on our experience.  For reference, I was moving from Weehawken, NJ, very close to Newark.

Electronic items we brought, and are happy that we did:

Vacuum cleaners.  We had three, and we brought a Dyson and a Shark.  Vacuum cleaners in Portugal rarely come with beater bars, as wall to wall carpeting is less common.   We ripped out the wall to wall carpeting in our Portuguese house, but we do have a few wool carpets, and they tend to look better when vacuumed with the beater bar aka brush attachment.   We bought adaptors from Amazon Germany, and the vacuums work perfectly.  Here's the link to the ones we bought: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B07PSHY58D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Roomba - Roomba works fine, we use the adaptor we have for the vacuums.

Blenders - we brought a juicer and a blender.  Both items burned out when trying to use them, even with the adaptor.  Not worth bringing, in my opinion.

Instant Pot works great with the adaptor.

Waterpik - weirdly, another thing that didn't seem to work, even with an adaptor.  We bought a new one here.

Hairdryers - forget them!  They also burn out, even with adaptors.

Other random things that we were going to get rid of, and are glad we ended up shoving into the container:

Alexa and Echo dots:  Both work fine here.

Ring Security Cameras - they just need a charge off a USB, and a wifi connection, so they are great for us.   We have one at our front door and one for our garage.

Blink cameras - we had bought a set of Blink cameras on Black Friday a few years ago, and we'll set them up.  We tested them, no problem as they also just need a charge and that's via USB port.

If you are tech-savvy and like your toys, bring them with you.  Tech stuff is quite expensive here, even if it's just a hard drive.

Feel free to reach out if there is anything else that I can help with 🙂

2 Replies
 Bert
Premium Member
(@bert)

Eminent Member

@milu.Thanks for your quick reply. I am not a techy kind of person but was going to get a laptop and new i-pad before leaving. I don't use the other security stuff you mentioned. Just bringing my cello but for that I will buy a second plane ticket and have company on the plane. I have a kitchen-aid mixer I love and a Vitamix so not sure whether to bring that or not based on what you said. Sounds like you had a lot of stuff to send over. I have moved a lot over the years in the US and so have decluttered at each spot along the way. Currently I live in a small 2 bedroom 1000 sq foot house and in examining storage unit sizes I think I could probably stuff it all in a 10' x 20' or 10' x 25' ft unit where it will need to go until I am ready to ship it.

I was not going to bring yard tools or backyard furniture. I am selling my car before I leave. Do they have estate sales and such in Portugal where one can pick up furniture for reasonable prices? Or is it different there? Is furniture otherwise expensive? Linens? I have a lot of kitchen stuff. I also can food and make jam  but not sure I need to bring that but maybe, just in case? 

Do you recommend a particular shipper? I know I am coming from a different place, California, but can you give a guesstimate based on you container costs. Just trying to start to get some numbers in my head for all that needs to come.

Also, what bank do you use or recommend? I will need to transfer retirement money occasionally from the US. Is that an easy process? How does that work? And do you have any wisdom about investment accounts. I am told by my investment advisor here that if you live in another country they can't be your advisors and the only thing I can do with my account is withdraw money from it. Is that your understanding if applicable?

Ok, that's it for now.

Muito obrigada todos! Roberta

Milu
Community Member
(@milu)

@bert We used UPakWeSHip and we were really happy with their service.  We shipped a 20 foot container but they also have pods on a pallet and that might work for you.   If you call UPak, ask for Rowena, she was great.   You can get furniture, mixers, blenders, etc all in good condition, used.  OLX.pt is the Portuguese Craigslist and they sell everything.  Also, there are lots of shops, we have a great one not far from us called JR's Moveis Usados (JR's Used Furniture).  The furniture is mostly older and more decorative, lots of stuff that older people have in their house and the kids want to ditch, but you can also find more contemporary pieces. 

Banking is a bit trickier.  We ended up opening a USD account at Millenium, and when the rate is good, we transfer funds over.  So far the rates haven't been great, so we're sitting with most of our assets in an account that we rarely access.   One thing about banking in Portugal, at least in my experience, is that it takes an entire morning to set up an account, and there is a ton of paperwork to sign.   THe security on Portugal's banks is very good, so you must really understand the papers they give you (access codes, etc) and throw away envelopes with codes in them, like I did, to then have to go back to the bank.  We do a lot of stuff online, banking including and Millenium has a very good app.  We also use Novo Banco, and they are good too.   We were assigned a banking liaison and that's a massive help, as we call her for everything, and then we just go in to sign papers.

I'm sure that I've missed something, but time for coffee 🙂

VIP Member
(@peterfc)
Famed Member

Hi Bert

One word of warning about stuff on the roof of a car or van. You can't have anything that hangs over the rear of the car or van something you will get a stop by the GNR (police)

Good luck with your plans

Peter

1 Reply
 Bert
Premium Member
(@bert)

Eminent Member

@peterfcThanks Peter. I'll have to figure that out. I think my kayaks are 12 or 13 feet long

UKTV Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €300+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • Buy and sell items in our Classifieds forum
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online