Music in Portugal – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Music in Portugal

Page 1 / 3

Community Member
Topic starter
(@aindrias)
Eminent Member

Ola everyone. So in one's own never ending quest to learn and improve at the Portuguese language and engage with the culture, I am seeing what people have for recommendations of good Portuguese music. I myself have been a big fan of Galandum Galundaina for many years but I want to know about good Portuguese music and musicians of any genre that goes beyond the usual pop drivel you hear on the radio. 

Cheers

23 Replies

Community Member
(@jogold)

Just discovered Frankie Chaves,,, he's on You Tube, and I saw him play live in Serta last week .... pretty good if you ask me...guitar, quite bluesy, bit of slide guitar, southern states influence, a dash of rock in the mix, and a quintessentially Portuguese mood of yearning...

Community Member
(@jogold)

Then I also discovered local pianist Marco Figueiredo.... also had the pleasure of hearing him play live in Serta Teatro... wow!  reminded me a bit of Keith Jarrett... am I allowed to put  a link on here? this piece is an improvisation called Serta....

2 Replies
Admin
(@gerry)

Honorable Member

@jogold Thank you for both. Just listened to 'I don't Belong' by Frankie Chavez, love the guitar playing. (By the way, discovered it's Chavez not Chaves)

Keep 'em coming please @jogold - we need a Portuguese Music Correspondent 😊 

Community Member
(@jogold)

@gerry Quite right Gerry..!! Chaves is a place at the end of the N2 I think!

Community Member
(@midlifecrisis)
Eminent Member

Community Member
(@midlifecrisis)
Eminent Member

5 Replies
Community Member
(@jogold)

@midlifecrisis Hi midlife... (did you really choose that as your username?).. Sara Tavares was going to be my next mention... they play her music quite often in one of the local cafes here where I sometimes take a mid-morning coffee... sweet-voiced acoustic style, African percussive back-beat, with funk influence. mainly Portuguese vocals, but can be multilingual... definitely good-times music!

I think she won an award of some sort

Community Member
(@midlifecrisis)

Eminent Member

@jogold Hi Jo, yes MidlifeCrisis World Tour, its a bit of gag from when I took a year out to travel the world. It's interesting that you live in Castelo Branco, my mother's family are from Soalheira and my father lives in Ferro near Covilha/Tortosendo so my summer holidays were always spent in that part of the world. I see you're from the UK, do you have many Portuguese friends now? How's the language skills coming along?

Community Member
(@jogold)

@midlifecrisis Hi Midlife... yes im Castelo Branco region ... not actually in Castelo Branco.. language skills are coming slower than I would like...(i'm not putting enough effort in ..!)  I haven't been here long, but I am mainly making Portuguese friends, so the language skills will come in time I guess..

was also going to point out Mariza Mae... great fado singer  , fabulous vocals ...

Community Member
(@midlifecrisis)

Eminent Member

@jogold Mariza is a goddess but given there is another thread just on fado

I thought I'd leave her there

Community Member
(@aindrias)

Eminent Member

@midlifecrisis two wonderful selections, thank you! Madredeus is a revelation! So amazing musicians

Page 1 / 3

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step move to Portugal online course hosted by Carl Munson. Join today and save €100.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online