Need referral for a custom Windows 7 computer – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

Need referral for a custom Windows 7 computer

MaxG
Premium Member
Topic starter
(@maxgravy)
Estimable Member

Olá amigos! 

I'm looking for a computer shop (or individual) in Lisbon that can sell me, or build me a special Windows 7 computer. I run vintage design software and it requires a 32-bit operating system. This machine will never go on the internet so I'm not concerned about security issues. I already have a hard drive with Windows 7 installed along with all my software. I removed it from my PC before we left the states. I've been using this software for a long time and would love to get it running again.

The machine needs to have a CD drive and HDMI video output. I could buy something at the mall but I'm afraid it won't run a 32-bit operating system. Also, there's likely to be driver issues since my hard drive came out of a different machine. I'm a mac user and know very little about building a Windows machine.

I'm willing to pay cash and make it worth someone's time. I was referred to Digiplanet but apparently they don't respond to emails. 

Any and all suggestions and referrals greatly appreciated. 

This is the drive I need to boot from:

Obrigado! 

Randy

7 Replies

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

I don't know if these guys could help.

https://www.chip7.pt/

Community Member
(@carlosjcosta)

Hi

For what you pretend (Hardware has to support Windows 7) best is to go to a small shop. Probably there is one in your neighborhood.

In my is this one:

http://www.4d6.com/

Note: Do not use your hard drive. Buy a new one and clone the original (Just to be safe)

Cheers

CARLOS

5 Replies
 MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)

Estimable Member

@carlosjcosta I did make a clone and then backed up all my working files to another drive. I also have the original installation CDs for my software. 

I've emailed two places but they never responded. This morning I called one and they said: Yes, we got your email. We will get back to you tonight or tomorrow. 

Welcome to Portugal! 🤣 

Community Member
(@carlosjcosta)

@maxgravy best bet is a small neighborhood shop ....  Are you sure the software does not run in windows 10 ? It´s true it is a native 64 bit operating system but it has the ability to run 32 bit applications

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-and-running-32-bit-programs-on-windows/48e8c563-aeb3-45c1-bc78-ff9000cdf912

Cheers

MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)

Estimable Member

@carlosjcosta I was told they would only run on Windows XP or Windows 7, 32-bit, but I'm not sure. The programs are AutoCAD r14 (1997) and Photoshop CS4 (2008). I have used these programs for a dedicated task since they came out. I have the entire system (with Windows 7) on a modern SSD drive. I'd hate to reinstall, customise and set it all up again. It takes many hours to get everything just right. 

I'm a mac user so I don't have a Windows machine to try it on. I've always kept a Windows machine just for using these programs. I should have put it in my suitcase but instead I pulled the SSD drive. 

Community Member
(@carlosjcosta)

@maxgravy Check the place in my neighborhood .... It's on the outskirts of Lisbon (easy if y have a car).   I would love to help you personally but I escaped to Faro (Algarve) as soon as the lock down started 🙂

MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)

Estimable Member

@carlosjcosta I talked to a friend in Nederland today. He assured me that a modern Windows 10 machine will run my software and possibly even boot my Windows 7 SSD. He's a computer guy and will help me with any driver issues, etc. So I'll be buying a basic desktop soon, possibly this weekend if I have the time. 

Thank you Carlos and everyone else in this thread. 👍 

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online